Sprouting Grains for Feed

416bigbore

Ruffus and Big Boy
Jun 11, 2020
NC
Is anyone sprouting different grains for their poultry? From the link below there has been different studies done with sprouting different grains to see if there is an advantage in doing so over feeding dry grains.

Our Ducks and Chickens seem to go crazy over freshly sprouted wheat and oats. I was thinking this lush green vegetation would be a great cheap treat for the winter months. :)

https://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/poultry/sprouting-grains-for-chickens-zm0z16fmzkon#:~:text=Seeking better poultry nutrition, some,when green pasture is scarce.&text=Chickens generally relish sprouts, and,sprouts have begun to mold).

Out of all the different grains I have sprouted wheat seems to be the quickest and easiest to grow. This is Hard Red Spring Wheat, Not sure if Winter Wheat is available in NC and would be any different ?

They seem to love the lush greens and it's easy and cheap enough to do for them at $6.00 a 50lb bag. :)

I sprout bird seed (minus the cracked corn) and wheat. They love it
00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20201002105553086_COVER.jpg

I sprout bird seed (minus the cracked corn) and wheat. They love it
View attachment 2398809
IMO, Bird seed is awesome for the price, I can find it for $.50 a pound where we are at and it works great for broadcasting on all the bare areas of ground the Ducks have turned into mud.

A bag of bird seed has a variety of different seeds the birds love, it's a win, win, for us to use. :)

IMO, Bird seed is awesome for the price, I can find it for $.50 a pound where we are at and it works great for broadcasting on all the bare areas of ground the Ducks have turned into mud.

A bag of bird seed has a variety of different seeds the birds love, it's a win, win, for us to use. :)
Yes! I can also get it super cheap. I feed some to the wild birds (far from the coop) and my girls get some as scratch and sprouts. It really is underrated. Scratch is probably a bit cheaper but it's full of corn! I don't care for that, though they do get some occasionally as well.

Back
Top Bottom