Sprouting oats in kitchen

PhenixJiRa

Songster
Aug 12, 2022
Idaho
I was reading various threads in the forums about sprouting oats and I am wondering if I purchased the wrong kind. They have been soaking now for a couple of days and I read that I should be able to see some thing happening by now. Looking at the photo I am attaching, do these look like they are just for feeding directly and not sprouting?

If they cannot be sprouted, can they be said to my chickens and if so would that be considered a separate treat?

Attachments

• DAB41A5E-AA0F-473A-8B88-5F8100346548.jpeg
    DAB41A5E-AA0F-473A-8B88-5F8100346548.jpeg
    467.4 KB · Views: 44
I was reading various threads in the forums about sprouting oats and I am wondering if I purchased the wrong kind. They have been soaking now for a couple of days and I read that I should be able to see some thing happening by now. Looking at the photo I am attaching, do these look like they are just for feeding directly and not sprouting?

If they cannot be sprouted, can they be said to my chickens and if so would that be considered a separate treat?
Hi, I have never tried to sprout oats but I do sprout whole wheat and I let them grow to 2 or 3 inches and my chickens love them. Very easy to sprout whole wheat..... My chicken will not eat the rolled oats so I quit buying oats.

Hi, I have never tried to sprout oats but I do sprout whole wheat and I let them grow to 2 or 3 inches and my chickens love them. Very easy to sprout whole wheat..... My chicken will not eat the rolled oats so I quit buying oats.
Hi!
Do you have instructions for sprouting the wheat? I failed with what I have but wonder if there is a method that would work for me.

Hi!
Do you have instructions for sprouting the wheat? I failed with what I have but wonder if there is a method that would work for me.
I think you might have failed because you kept them submerged. There's an article here on BYC about sprouting barley and they found that 12H was the best time, after which twice a day rinse was enough (they found keeping the grain submerged 24H was decreasing germination from 95% to 25%!) -> https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...odder-tower-with-dollar-tree-dish-bins.75190/

Basically, you were fermenting them, I think ^^

I think you might have failed because you kept them submerged. There's an article here on BYC about sprouting barley and they found that 12H was the best time, after which twice a day rinse was enough (they found keeping the grain submerged 24H was decreasing germination from 95% to 25%!) -> https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...odder-tower-with-dollar-tree-dish-bins.75190/

Basically, you were fermenting them, I think ^^
Perfect! Thank you for this link and the details. I'm sure I did submerge too long based on all of this info. I'll try 12H and then rinse twice a day to see if I have more success.

Back
Top Bottom