Sprouting

lazy gardener

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Nov 7, 2012
CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
Garden season is winding down. I will be picking up some barley and BOSS this weekend. Don't intend to start sprouting until the birds no longer have access to the yard, but I'll be ready!

Any one sprouting whole corn for their birds?? I'm toying with the idea of picking up a couple pounds of popcorn to try sprouting.

Popcorn...like the kernels one would pop for humans to eat?

I hadn't thought of eating corn sprouts. But they just might be tasty. I have some red field corn that I grew last year. Might start with that. Thought I'd try the popcorn b/c I can buy a single pound of it, instead of committing to a 50# bag. I had some old popcorn that I sprouted last year. It was quite old, so the germination rate wasn't the best, but the girls liked it. Fresh popcorn should sprout better.

Late pickup for the game, I know, but just wanted to say I really appreciate this thread! Also being in Central Maine (for 2018, maybe '19), I'd been playing with the idea of incorporating popcorn, bean, and barley sprouts (plus greenhouse lettuce & kale micro greens) this coming Winter. I like the good mix of nutrients, protein & fibre for my girls, particularly as fresh produce instead of bagged processed feed. It also seems like a good way to cut down on root cellar storage space for winter turnips, winter radishes, pumpkins & winter squash (although I'll still be incorporating all four into their Winter diets). Just to cover my bases though, I'm assuming (*cringes*) the sprouting options mentioned here have been/are being mixed with other options like the winter keepers I mentioned... is that safe to infer, or are some of you talking about making sprouts the load bearers for your girls' Winter diets?

I always provide a formulated feed, but add sprouts to give those eggs the benefit of year round greens. I do not grow sprouts to the fodder stage. I do give them squash/pumpkins in the winter. Unfortunately, I did not have a lot of those available for them this year. Next year I hope to do better. If I plan and grow well, I'd give them a squash to work on, and replace it when they've finished it. (I put it in their winter sun room. They are happy enough to eat it when it's been through several freeze/thaw cycles and has turned into a giant frozen squash slushee.) Sprouts are given at the rate of 1 - 2 qt of sprouts for a flock of 30 birds every day or two. Their formulated feed is fermented unless we are in prolonged cold snap where day time temps don't get up to 20*.

If you are growing kale and other greens in the winter, you can harvest a wonderful crop of kale seed simply by letting it go to seed. Same for radish.

I use 1 qt. wide mouth mason jars with these:

81wn1zHUG%2BL._SY679_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom