Sprouts and "microgreen" nutrient content

Freindly farmer

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2018
Hello all,

I am looking to start feeding my birds more sprouts and less bag feed. I am looking for info on nutrient densities for these types of sprouts...

Oats
Barley
Rye
Wheat
Peas
Cabbage
Kale
Diakon radish
Lind seed
Sunflower
Kale
..and more suggested if there are any..
...especially better cheaper selections...
....high protein seems to be the target...

I am looking to cut out so much bag feed and give more fresh feed year round. Especially in the winter months. Anyone ever tried to eliminate buying bag feed and use primarily fresh veggies and sprouts? I do have a large flock(about 100 laying birds). I imagine sprouting seeds will contain more available nutients and go much further than the dry seed per pound? Any ideas or info on this topic would be greatly used and appreciated. Thanks all!

I use the sprouts to provide some greens during our long snow season. You might also look into fermented feed.

Fermented feed is great for their general health, and I have done a bit of this. I am mostly looking for a feed replacement more so though. Basically to lower feed bills while supplying equal or better nutrition. I want to produce more during the growing season i can use as well. Any ideas there would be great too.

In the summer they free range in large movable paddocks, so mostly its when they are more stationary during the winter i am concerned about. This is why i am looking for a good nutrient density info to reference. I don't want them to be lacking something crucial if i can help it. Again, in the summer months they do pretty well finding a balanced meal most days. As long as i move them every couple weeks anyway.

Fermented feed is great for their general health, and I have done a bit of this. I am mostly looking for a feed replacement more so though. Basically to lower feed bills while supplying equal or better nutrition. I want to produce more during the growing season i can use as well. Any ideas there would be great too.

In the summer they free range in large movable paddocks, so mostly its when they are more stationary during the winter i am concerned about. This is why i am looking for a good nutrient density info to reference. I don't want them to be lacking something crucial if i can help it. Again, in the summer months they do pretty well finding a balanced meal most days. As long as i move them every couple weeks anyway.
Did you ever get a system down for sprouting? Are you saving money and how are your birds doing with this? How much feed versus sprouts are you feeding?

Back
Top Bottom