1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Spurs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ga_goat, Mar 9, 2012.

1. ga_goat

ga_goat Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    Got a 1½ yr old rooster with 3+ inch spurs , how do I get rid of them not just how but which tool to use ( hope this is the right place for this)

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

You can take a normal pair of pliers, pinch down on spur right near the leg and give a twist. The top cover will pop right off and a smaller spur will be underneath. May bleed a little but will stop. Once it stops after a few days you can clip the point off.

3. Erica

Erica Songster

Dec 5, 2010
    I use a tool called a 'dremel'. It has a miniature grinder attachment at the end, and whirs around really fast, so it cauterises the blood vessel as it cuts the spur.

A way I've read about (but never tried) involves cooking a potato and, once it's cooked, pressing it over the spur almost to the leg (but not quite or it would burn the bird). You're supposed to hold it there 40 seconds and then twist it, and apparently the spur comes off easily. (I'm not sure I'm game to try this one.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by