Square Foot Gardening Thread

Quote:
I love being a woman. . . . Dh is always amazed at how much help I can get at the hardware stores
big_smile.png

He sends me with a list and start asking for help. . . ..

The guys take me to the right isle and help me find the stuff on the shelf. After I pay, the guys help me load ( even if I tell them I got it).

Dh just sits back and shakes his head when I tell him how helpful the guys were
big_smile.png

I get so mouch help from the guys at the hardware stores that I would rather shop there than go clothes shopping at the mall
smile.png

I do enjoy being a women so much as well!

Quote:
I use a plactic container with a lid. I made cardboard dividers for the rows of seed packets like you did. To help me find the seeds quickly, I alphabetized the packets by categories: beans , cantalope, corn, herbs, etc and made heading cards cut from some old manilla folders. I put dessicant packets in the box and store it in my refrigerator. I use one box for veggies and one box for flower seeds, etc.

Is the fridge the way to go for long term storage? I will look for a good plastic storage option. Something that closes tight would be best right? To keep out the moisture in the fridge?

Mine is a rectangular flat sweater box by Rubbermaid.
Yes, the crisper section or even the freezer. You want the seeds to retain their natural moisture content for better germination. If they dry out, germination is reduced by 1/3 to 1/2 the fresh rate. The dessicant packets are to keep out additional moisture that could cause molding.
Seeds for corn, beans, peas and okra can be frozen for several years and when thawed will have great germination. Annual and perennial seeds can be frozen also if they come up naturally for you outside where the winters hit freezing temps.

Yesterday we spent hours out in our yard preparing our garden beds. We aren't done yet because we still need to go get 1/2 ton more of mushroom soil and 1 more big bag of peat moss. I finally found vermiculite - and that stuff isn't cheap! I stretched one bag out because it was $21.99 for one 2 sq foot bag of the stuff. I figured I can always go get more and add it if I want to. So, here are a few pictures:

The first one is my DH working on making a level spot for our boxes. Our property is sloped, so we had to work at it a little. They still aren't perfect, but that's OK.

26636_100_4497.jpg

This picture is my daughters working on "Mel's Mix", or a variation of. We have 6 rabbits that also made a contribution to the manure part of the mix. Go, bunnies!

26636_100_4499.jpg

Here is a picture of the boxes as of last evening. We still have a few more to go! You can see the bare ground underneath the boxes - this is where we had our garden for the last few years. It worked great until July/August, then the weeds kicked in full time. I couldn't keep up with the weeds. I am curious to see how we do with weeds this year!!!

26636_100_4503.jpg

This is a picture from the bottom of our yard. The slope behind the boxes is going to be turned into a huge herb garden (not SFG, but still - I think it will be a good use of this wasted space!) As you can see, we live in town. We are going to be putting up a 6' privacy fence little by little. We have a lot planned for our yard - which, by the way, where we live is a "huge" yard.
26636_100_4506.jpg

Thanks, NanaKat! We were really surprised how much soil goes into these boxes! I bought these boxes at Sam's Club, they were actually very reasonable. We aren't the best at carpentry, and these were put together quickly. DH just rolled out of bed - we were really worn out after yesterday! So, we're off to the garden center! Yay!

Today we'll be finishing the soil bit, and planting! I will post those pics later!!!

Quote:
I just love the fact that these boxes came pre-made for your family AND you got your kids out there! How lucky are you to have the whole family on board
smile.png
I can't wait to see these boxes all planted. Will you try to grow grass in between like mine, or do you have plans for mulch or stone or the like?

Last edited:
Quote:
Is the fridge the way to go for long term storage? I will look for a good plastic storage option. Something that closes tight would be best right? To keep out the moisture in the fridge?

Mine is a rectangular flat sweater box by Rubbermaid.
Yes, the crisper section or even the freezer. You want the seeds to retain their natural moisture content for better germination. If they dry out, germination is reduced by 1/3 to 1/2 the fresh rate. The dessicant packets are to keep out additional moisture that could cause molding.
Seeds for corn, beans, peas and okra can be frozen for several years and when thawed will have great germination. Annual and perennial seeds can be frozen also if they come up naturally for you outside where the winters hit freezing temps.

Who knew I could freeze my seeds?! Are there any seeds I shouldn't freeze? Can I used dessicant packets from shoeboxes and things, or do I need to buy fresh ones?

Back
Top Bottom