SS Roo with......

J-Habs

Chirping
Aug 28, 2023
What will my incubated chicks look like? I bred my SS roo to Blue Australorp, Black Australorp, and Welbar.

What will my incubated chicks look like? I bred my SS roo to Blue Australorp, Black Australorp, and Welbar.

If SS means Speckled Sussex:

SS rooster x Blue Australorp gives black chicks and blue chicks, about equal numbers of each.

SS rooster x Black Australorp gives black chicks.

SS rooster x Welbar gives chicks with some pattern of black and brown. The sons will have white barring like their Welbar mother, the daughters will not. None of them will show their father's "speckling."

The black chicks and blue chicks may show leakage of red or gold or white as they grow up. Leakage tends to be especially common in the breasts of females and the shoulders of males.

If SS does not mean Spleckled Sussex, please tell what breed and color it does mean.

If SS means Speckled Sussex:

SS rooster x Blue Australorp gives black chicks and blue chicks, about equal numbers of each.

SS rooster x Black Australorp gives black chicks.

SS rooster x Welbar gives chicks with some pattern of black and brown. The sons will have white barring like their Welbar mother, the daughters will not. None of them will show their father's "speckling."

The black chicks and blue chicks may show leakage of red or gold or white as they grow up. Leakage tends to be especially common in the breasts of females and the shoulders of males.

If SS does not mean Spleckled Sussex, please tell what breed and color it does mean.
Very interesting! Thank you!

View attachment 3679900
With the blue Australorp - it can sometimes create a splash color

Genetically it is not possible to get a splash colored chicken from one blue parent (Blue Australorp) and a Speckled Sussex rooster (no blue gene.)

Splash is when a chicken has two blue genes, which means inheriting one from each parent. Since the Speckled Sussex does not have a blue gene, no chick can inherit one from him, so no chick can be splash in color.

Back
Top Bottom