SSS...and then bury it deeper? Did anyone see this??

Quote:
But what if this is someones helper dog or seeing eye dog and it got out just this once? Wouldn't it be better if it could be worked out, to give your neighbors a chance to make reparations? You would not be willing to speak with the owner and ask for financial reembursement first? It seems to me that I would rather have the cash than just someone else's old dead dog. It seems like you loose and the dog pays but nobody gets any satisfaction.

Boyd, you and I are sooo different - the only folks I would shoot are people I personally dislike. Otherwise, where's the fun in it?

thumbsup.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif

Quote:
But what if this is someones helper dog or seeing eye dog and it got out just this once? Wouldn't it be better if it could be worked out, to give your neighbors a chance to make reparations? You would not be willing to speak with the owner and ask for financial reembursement first? It seems to me that I would rather have the cash than just someone else's old dead dog. It seems like you loose and the dog pays but nobody gets any satisfaction.

Boyd, you and I are sooo different - the only folks I would shoot are people I personally dislike. Otherwise, where's the fun in it?

I do respect your stand Fanc but I love my animals dearly even those that i raise for food.. My animals properly contained on MY property are more important to me then someone elses.. Beleive me I have felt terrible for killing someones pet but the bottom line is I put immense amounts of time and money into my animals and to lose all of that because someone else cannot keep their animals contained is just not something i can stand by and watch.. Trust me you will never get compensation for the cost of your time put into these animals .. the courts would at max give you market value on the live animal... I think this another thing that we will just have to agree to disagree about.. Bottom line for me is " I protect me and Mine...."

Quote:
according to the article they were BEHIND an electric fence that the dog got into... after leaving his own yard..........

Not so, read again. The dog broke out of HIS owner's electric fence.

"According to the incident report filed with the Wilson County Sheriff's Department, Rocky broke through his electric fence and made his way to Belate's property on Tyree Access Road, off Highway 109 North."

Not intending to fuel the fire, but I don't get the concept that the dogs should be locked up but not the chickens? I have dogs and chickens - and I have worked very hard to keep at least 2 fences between them, and a really sturdy one to keep the dogs in my yard.

Fault on both sides by my read.

Quote:

I do respect your stand Fanc but I love my animals dearly even those that i raise for food.. My animals properly contained on MY property are more important to me then someone elses.. Beleive me I have felt terrible for killing someones pet but the bottom line is I put immense amounts of time and money into my animals and to lose all of that because someone else cannot keep their animals contained is just not something i can stand by and watch.. Trust me you will never get compensation for the cost of your time put into these animals .. the courts would at max give you market value on the live animal... I think this another thing that we will just have to agree to disagree about.. Bottom line for me is " I protect me and Mine...."

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I love all of my animals and that includes my dogs. I just would hate to think of someone shooting my dog if she accidentially got out and not even giving me the benefit of the doubt. How do you know that an owner might not be willing to pay for thier dog's error? By not allowing that it may be just a terrible one-time accident or mistake in which I would be more than willing to compensate the owners of the chickens, including for thier time. I have both dogs and chickens, so I know how much time and effort it is. But my dog is time, effort, money, years of training and personal relationship that shooting it also takes it away forever.... And does my dog and I deserve that if it was just a one time mistake? If I am willing to pay for that mistake? I would feel very bad and ashamed that my dog cause that persons animals harm, but I also would not feel so inclined to repay them once they shot my dog. It seems a harsh punishment for what might be nothing more than an unfortunate series of events...Like, what if I am out walking my dog and I have a heart attack so my dog gets loose and then you just shoot it and then I am dying of a heart attack and have a dead dog just because I happened to be outside with my dog when I had a heart attack? That would be awful, and things like that happen.

Quote:
here's where I am going to disagree..... lets up the stakes....... instead of chickens, lets assume they are cows....... and instead of a doggy worrying cows, lets make them humans to up the size........ Now in most states they still have on the books that you can hang cattle rustlers and horse thieves....... so how is this any different? If it was a human that was killing or stealing my cows or ponies, I'd shoot him as well. Headshot with a rifle at a decent distance.. Only difference is that I wouldn't do the last part of the S, I'd have the fools family meet me when the sherrifs department showed up, and I'd hand them a bill for my shell. a 30/.06 is a buck a shell now a days........

Humans know better it was a bird dog killing birds. I would only shoot a dog that the owner habitually allowed to run loose. Sounds like this was a rare incident. Also my chickens are not that easily killed by a dog. A stray has to get past my fence, then past my dogs, then into the chicken pen. When they first step foot on my property my dogs raise enough cain that I know it and I can easily chase them off before anything gets killed.

Quote:
You're getting pretty ridiculous with all that..... I have a feeling this thread is getting locked soon. lol

I love my dog too, so I keep her home. Simple.
I love my chickens, but one got out and it got killed for it. I had to let that one go.
What happens to my animals outside of my property is out of my control. When your animals leave your turf, they have to play by the rules being enforced by another property owner -- WHETHER OR NOT YOU AGREE.

Quote:
You're getting pretty ridiculous with all that..... I have a feeling this thread is getting locked soon. lol

I love my chickens, but one got out and it got killed for it. I had to let that one go.
What happens to my animals outside of my property is out of my control. When your animals leave your turf, they have to play by the rules being enforced by another property owner -- WHETHER OR NOT YOU AGREE.

I don't think that's ridiculous at all. I have read many reports of people going on nature hikes (often with dogs) and having heart attacks. Gates get unlatched by meter readers and postmen all the time. It's common, it happens. I don't think there is anything ridiculous about suggesting that you do not HAVE to automatically assume that the owners are (a) irresponsible, (b) won't compensate you and (c) that it might be due to something accidental and a one time incident.

Last edited:
i hate that their pet is dead BUT it shouldnt of been in the other mans yard where it killed the chickens, simple as that.

This is just one more notch on my belt of HATING electric containment systems for dogs, they are not fool proof like some people believe.

We have nearly an acre, and almost all of that acre is fenced in with 6 foot wooden privacy fencing! The part that isnt is fenced in with 5 foot chainlink fencing! Even our front yard is fenced in, albeit is done with 3 foot white wooden picket fencing, its still fenced in!

Quote:

Unhelpful comments removed.

The sad fact is.. dogs do escape sometimes...
I would hate to have my dog killed because it was smart and figured out my fenceing or whatever.... thats MY fault.. not the dogs! Sue me if you must...but dont kill my dog for getting out one time...
I think its really ALL about the dog owners being responsible for their dogs actions... sadly many dog owners dont care.. and they LET their dogs roam free... and it gives other owners a bad name... and makes people mad and trigger happy..
If my dogs got out and killed someones pets..i would be so ashamed and sad.... and i would do WHATEVER it took to try to make it up to them... money and what ever they asked for....
But if they killed my dog because it got out one time.... well then... lets just say that they would be sorry. Sorry... but its true...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom