St. John's Wort

Pics
Thank you! I will be giving this a try starting tonight! You have given me hope that I won't lose my entire flock!

I have a hen that may be showing signs of Marcel's disease and would like to try the hypericum.... I have capsules 300 mg 0.3% hypericin.... Will this work and how much water do I mix it with ???

A vet told me this.  I've used it, it works most of the time.  The industry doesn't use it because it's more economical to replace the bird, not fix the problem.

If it does work it would be difficult to paten it as a cure ( because its a plant ) so it's not particularly profitable to a drug company... Just a thought
Also someone has to find it first... You never know maybe the OP has just found it :idunno

Last edited:
Thank you I will start this in the morning.... It can't hurt right ?

Potential for anything to hurt in overdose but the chances of this hurting are very, very low, whereas once a bird is symptomatic for MD you know for sure that's going to hurt the bird whether you do something or nothing.

Wishing you and your chooks all the best.

I think I have a 12 week old chick with MD. I have a thread started on it. I'm willing to try anything that I can get, but was just wondering if anyone has had success with this method? There's no way for me to read this entire post. :)

I think I have a 12 week old chick with MD. I have a thread started on it. I'm willing to try anything that I can get, but was just wondering if anyone has had success with this method? There's no way for me to read this entire post. :)

I've tried it a few times and it hasn't worked for me. Have one right now that I've had in a hospital cage with food and water and she is now able to stand again after several weeks. Her "treatment" was a proper worming with Safeguard, dusting for mites and lice and tube feeding on days she didn't eat or drink enough. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I've cured her, or even that I've made her better and I do expect that some day soon she will worsen.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom