St. Patrick's Day and First Day of Spring hatch-along 2019!

I'm a little early, but trying to time for the school kids to hatch in class. Set eggs today - 5 sapphire blue egg layers (CCL x LH), 17 Exchequer LH that are shipped eggs (I have wanted xchex for a LONG time, hope we get some to hatch!) and 4 of my own Iowa Blue eggs for fertility check. We'll be a little early, but joining in, anyway for some (almost) St. Patrick's Day eggs.
View attachment 1680749

One of my January chicks supervising the setting.
View attachment 1680750
I am new to chicken breeds. I looked up the Iowa Blue. They are nice looking. How is your rooster's temperment? How is he with the hens?

No, I was right to begin with chicken eggs hatch date should be March 16-17 (With you know a couple days plus or minus either way) The original post on this thread is incorrect on set date.
Today is Feb 24 21 days from now is March 16th

I bought from two different farms.. One has a mix of midget white/ blue slate birds. The other has a few different breeds together as well (Royal Palm/Black Spanish/Bourbon red)… So I guess these are all technically "mutts'. We are just starting out putting more of a focus on turkeys. I am hoping to get some pure heritage breed turkey eggs as more folks have them available this spring. These are due to hatch Sat March 16.

Of the turkey eggs it was not a big success... I have 1 who appears to be healthy and doing well pretty blue color. Another yellow turkey who is weak (legs) and has a clicking noise. There was another that hatched that was weak and did not make it and one died after pipping before zipping and so I'm kind of bummed.

Of the turkey eggs it was not a big success... I have 1 who appears to be healthy and doing well pretty blue color. Another yellow turkey who is weak (legs) and has a clicking noise. There was another that hatched that was weak and did not make it and one died after pipping before zipping and so I'm kind of bummed.
:hugs
I'm so sorry

Sorry for the ones you lost. I lost a chick from my previous (first) hatch that had pipped on not zipped. :( We had two chicks survive. Both started weak, but seem fine now. I hope your weak one gets stronger soon.

Sorry for the ones you lost. I lost a chick from my previous (first) hatch that had pipped on not zipped. :( We had two chicks survive. Both started weak, but seem fine now. I hope your weak one gets stronger soon.

Thank you one is doing much better and I have some bantam chicks to keep it company. The one struggling most I have isolated and working on figuring out a protocol to best help it survive and be healthy.

Back
Top Bottom