Stacked Nesting Boxes

Poppy Putentake

Songster
8 Years
Aug 5, 2015
Vermont
Who has experience and/or thoughts on stacking nesting boxes? does it work out well? Any problems?

How high off the coop floor works best?

Do they have trouble reaching the upper tier of nests? Do you provide a ramp of some kind for that?

I'm aware of the conventional wisdon that nests should always be lower than roosts, but with stacked nests and multiple levels of roosts, it could be hard to avoid some overlap. However, I'm thinking that it miight not be too much trouble to block off the upper level of nests at night, (then they will still have a place to lay early in the morning before you come by to unblock them), and eventually they will get the idea to use the roosts.

Who has experience and/or thoughts on stacking nesting boxes? does it work out well? Any problems?

How high off the coop floor works best?

Do they have trouble reaching the upper tier of nests? Do you provide a ramp of some kind for that?

I'm aware of the conventional wisdon that nests should always be lower than roosts, but with stacked nests and multiple levels of roosts, it could be hard to avoid some overlap. However, I'm thinking that it miight not be too much trouble to block off the upper level of nests at night, (then they will still have a place to lay early in the morning before you come by to unblock them), and eventually they will get the idea to use the roosts.
So, my experience has been that chickens always pick one or two bixes and fight over them no matter how many I provide…it may be that you don’t need as many as you think? Maybe tell us more about your coop size/design and number of hens?

I have a 2x2 nesting box setup, and my 7 hens only lay in the bottom 2, but some of them have chosen to sleep in the top 2. Since no one ever lays in the top 2, it doesn't result in dirty eggs, so I let it slide. But it's a pain to keep the top 2 clean. This spring I plan on revamping their nesting box setup so they only have "ground level" boxes - no 2nd level.

I have a 2x2 nesting box setup, and my 7 hens only lay in the bottom 2, but some of them have chosen to sleep in the top 2. Since no one ever lays in the top 2, it doesn't result in dirty eggs, so I let it slide. But it's a pain to keep the top 2 clean. This spring I plan on revamping their nesting box setup so they only have "ground level" boxes - no 2nd level.
Update - Removed the 2x2 boxes and replaced with two $5 cat litter boxes (no top - just the tray). Side by side, no divider. Hens didn’t miss a beat, and they lay in both trays. AND no one is sleeping in them. I am happier with this setup, as summers can be so crazy hot, and this will be cooler than the more traditional nesting boxes I removed.

I have 4 boxes stacked 2x2, because of the Silkies I used to have. Mostly the girls I have now use the top right box, with top left second favorite. But it seems that whoever goes first starts the trend, and there will be a lot of eggs in one box. I have a couple heavier Buff Orpingtons, I think that they prefer the lower boxes and if they lay first for the day will use those and the other girls will follow suit.

:goodpost: It'd be good to know how many you have as most likely this is going to happen. I have 3 boxes for 12 hens and 2 of them get used. They're not stacked. They've tried to roost on top of them even though the roof is slanted. Therefore I know for sure if I had stacked boxes, they'd sleep in the top, not lay in them.

0169CED2-7163-4F27-AB8D-8EBE9F418DB3.png

We have two levels of boxes, and then a plastic tub on the floor below them as a nest on the floor.

You can see we have a board along the front of each level for them to use…it’s hard to see but the higher one is actually further out than the lower one, so they have no issue jumping up on either board.

We have two nest boxes that are the favorites, one on the upper level and lower level, though pretty much all the boxes are used, including the one on the floor. We have nine boxes including the one on the floor, and about 30 laying hens.

Thanks for your repliies. It's interesting that Peteachicks says that the top boxes are more "popular" but AnnPann says her bottom 2 are. I wonder whether this has to do with the height ot the entire setup? (Someone else I know has 3-high stacked nest boes with the bottom on the floor of the coop, and he gets almost no eggs in the bottom tier.) So, how high off the floor is the bottom of the lower boxes?
good point! i have a raised coop, so my “floor level” nesting boxes are technically off the actual ground.

Thanks for your repliies. It's interesting that Peteachicks says that the top boxes are more "popular" but AnnPann says her bottom 2 are. I wonder whether this has to do with the height ot the entire setup? (Someone else I know has 3-high stacked nest boes with the bottom on the floor of the coop, and he gets almost no eggs in the bottom tier.) So, how high off the floor is the bottom of the lower boxes?

Back
Top Bottom