Stacking eggs in Incubator

clintaaron

Chirping
9 Years
May 23, 2014
Hi Everyone,

First time poster here, just wondering if anyone has stacked eggs in their incubator? My auto turner of course only holds 42 eggs and I sorta went and bout 20 more lol I hate to take my turner out but of course I mean I will if I have too. But has anyone ever stacked their eggs? I do have the extras in now and had to put the horizontal after the first rotation because they stayed in the same position. Any input would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks

I haven't stacked eggs. When I have been in the situation you've been in, I either took out the turner or put additional eggs under a hen or in a friend's incubator. I can't think of many reasons why stacking would be an issue except maybe during hatching time, but if you remove eggs that have quit or ones that you can tell are unfertile mid-way through, this may not be an issue. I think stacking might also increase the chance of accidental cracks too, though. If it were me, I would really try to avoid it, just in case. You're at a greater chance of breaking them and having bacteria all around all the eggs. Also, hatching might be a tight squeeze.

Also, it depends on if you're using a still air incubator or not. Don't go for it in a still air incubator, as the temperatures would get wonky. If it's circulated then I think the temperatures wouldn't be affected by this.

Good luck!

It's a big risk to take. The bottom eggs won't get as much air when there's eggs on top of them. There's less area of the egg for the moisture-air exchange to happen. The temperature is also an issue. What sort of incubator do you have? Is there moving air both over and under the eggs?

You'll obviously have to turn the eggs manually. Then you can change who's on top or not. And spray and air the eggs to increase air exchange at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom