Staggered hatching Hatch-A-Long

I candled the three that were in the hatcher. Looks like possible internal pip on two and nothing on the third yet. I added the three eggs from 1/31 that are on day 18 as of this morning so they can be in the hatcher. Still hoping that the three older ones might hatch a little late. If not I will attempt to help tonight.

I candled the three that were in the hatcher. Looks like possible internal pip on two and nothing on the third yet. I added the three eggs from 1/31 that are on day 18 as of this morning so they can be in the hatcher. Still hoping that the three older ones might hatch a little late. If not I will attempt to help tonight.
Were they moving?

Finally a pip from the tiniest of the three eggs!!

1581984074748.png

Assisted first chick getting out of the egg. he was malpositioned with his feet over his head but fully ready to hatch. Pipped last night while I was gone and was attempting to zip but not able to turn to do it. Cute little baby. The other two eggs are definitely internally pipped. I saw the beaks in both and heard peeping. I made a tiny air hole in each since I won't be here to assist and will hope they get out on their own while I'm at work all day today.
1582012421763.png

Just realize the second egg was already externally pipped as well but it was way far back on the egg. Air cell was kind of flat and at the top of the egg. Hopefully the baby can get out of the egg okay. If not I can assist when I get home tonight :fl

I got my first 8 eggs of this year today. They’re very nice blue colored cream legbar eggs and I’m so excited about setting them tomorrow!

View attachment 2022388

for now i’ve ordered araucana eggs for next week and olive eggers the week after that.

one problem, i’ve discovered I have rats in the coop so I ordered this very strong ultrasonic anti-rat device today, it should arrive tomorrow. I hope they will go away with this thing. I don’t want them eating my chicks!

I didn’t read the whole thread. But since there was no reaction on the ultrasonic as far as I’ve seen, I feel the urge to warn you.

The hearing of chickens is better and different as human hearing. Possibly you're chickens go mad. ?

I would prefer to make the coop safe with hardware cloth to prevent rats coming in. Or buy a new ready made coop for chicks with good hwc .

I didn’t read the whole thread. But since there was no reaction on the ultrasonic as far as I’ve seen, I feel the urge to warn you.

The hearing of chickens is better and different as human hearing. Possibly you're chickens go mad. ?

I would prefer to make the coop safe with hardware cloth to prevent rats coming in. Or buy a new ready made coop for chicks with good hwc .

I have one of these that I run in my house and I hatch chicks in the house. I haven't had any issue with it bothering them. I know that they do test them with cats/dogs and other house hold pets and have said they are pet safe I would imagine that would have to include birds as well since people have parrots etc in the homes sometimes. But you can call the company and ask if they think poultry might be effected. I saw on another thread that someone posted putting a trap under a box with a small hole so only a rat would fit no chickens to catch the ones that got in while they worked on making the coop more secure to prevent them from getting back in.

Back
Top Bottom