Standard of Perfection Wanted

I'm guessing that's the one that all the "historical significance" copies are being printed from. The APA enforces their copyright without prejudice, so anything out there isn't just out of copyright, it's no longer valid, because they basically re-up the copyright every time a new addition is published. Just looking at a few pages I can tell you that old one is way out of sync with the current version.

But, for anyone wanting to buy one but able to wait... the next version should be published in 2022, and from what I've seen personally and heard from others, there are some major and sweeping across-the-board changes coming. I know changes were still being hashed out with some breed clubs as late as October of 2021, so I'm not sure if they'll make it in time to publish in 2022 or not.

I regularly hit up used bookstores, estate sales, and Goodwill looking for older copies. Most of what I find on eBay are newer versions that cost more with shipping than buying the latest version direct from the APA.

Some hatcheries and poultry supplies also sell it and the ABA standard (and mini!). So that's worth looking into if you're already making an order.

And last, but not least, ask around in your breed clubs. They're more likely to have extra copies floating around than most other chicken owners.

I'm guessing that's the one that all the "historical significance" copies are being printed from. The APA enforces their copyright without prejudice, so anything out there isn't just out of copyright, it's no longer valid, because they basically re-up the copyright every time a new addition is published. Just looking at a few pages I can tell you that old one is way out of sync with the current version.

But, for anyone wanting to buy one but able to wait... the next version should be published in 2022, and from what I've seen personally and heard from others, there are some major and sweeping across-the-board changes coming. I know changes were still being hashed out with some breed clubs as late as October of 2021, so I'm not sure if they'll make it in time to publish in 2022 or not.

I regularly hit up used bookstores, estate sales, and Goodwill looking for older copies. Most of what I find on eBay are newer versions that cost more with shipping than buying the latest version direct from the APA.

Some hatcheries and poultry supplies also sell it and the ABA standard (and mini!). So that's worth looking into if you're already making an order.

And last, but not least, ask around in your breed clubs. They're more likely to have extra copies floating around than most other chicken owners.
Where I'm from (Puerto Rico) we have no shows...no breed clubs...even when I contacted the apa they told me there's nothing official running in my country...i know the book I posted is old...but Im trying to breed my animals to the old standard...im not really trying to show my birds or win a show...I'm just trying to breee true to the double purpose standard people from the old days bred their RIRs. As for it being an older version I'm well aware of that detail and there's nothing that bothers me about that fact...only details I have encountered with this book compared to the newer versions is the quality of the pictures...some new ornamental breeds added...and a couple more details changed about rare breeds...as far as I'm concerned for the standard I'm looking for,I'm satisfied

Back
Top Bottom