Standard Old English Games

I'm back in the Old English Game business!
Several years ago I sold my whole flock of Brown Red & Lemon Blue Old English large fowl to Superior hatchery. I thought at the time I could always order some chicks from them if I ever wanted to get back into games. Little did I know that a lot of birds went into Superior but very few ever came out.
When Superior went out of business I contacted Roland Romig, who was handling the dispersal, and asked if the had any Brown Reds from my line remaining.. Initially he said no but he called a few days later & siad they found 4 hens but no males. I said I'd take them & Roland brought them to Bath, NY where I picked them up. Much to my surprise they were all wearing NY Pullorum bands; they were some of my original hens. I checked my records & determined that 2 were 6 years old & 2, 8 years old.
I got a cock bird from a local breeder & hatched a few chicks the first year. It wasn't a good mating. All the chicks had poor leg colour &^were culled. In June someone offered me a cock bird from the same blood line as my original birds. I mated him to the only remaining, now 11 year old hen. She had laid some eggs early in the year but it had been awhile since she'd laid any. After a few days with the new male she started laying again, laid a clutch of 9 eggs & went broody. Yesterday all nine eggs hatched, the chicks look great & all have good leg colour. Not bad for an 11 year old hen.
That's part of the beauty of Games. They live & remain productive for a long time.

Several years ago I sold my whole flock of Brown Red & Lemon Blue Old English large fowl to Superior hatchery. I thought at the time I could always order some chicks from them if I ever wanted to get back into games. Little did I know that a lot of birds went into Superior but very few ever came out.
When Superior went out of business I contacted Roland Romig, who was handling the dispersal, and asked if the had any Brown Reds from my line remaining.. Initially he said no but he called a few days later & siad they found 4 hens but no males. I said I'd take them & Roland brought them to Bath, NY where I picked them up. Much to my surprise they were all wearing NY Pullorum bands; they were some of my original hens. I checked my records & determined that 2 were 6 years old & 2, 8 years old.
I got a cock bird from a local breeder & hatched a few chicks the first year. It wasn't a good mating. All the chicks had poor leg colour &^were culled. In June someone offered me a cock bird from the same blood line as my original birds. I mated him to the only remaining, now 11 year old hen. She had laid some eggs early in the year but it had been awhile since she'd laid any. After a few days with the new male she started laying again, laid a clutch of 9 eggs & went broody. Yesterday all nine eggs hatched, the chicks look great & all have good leg colour. Not bad for an 11 year old hen.
That's part of the beauty of Games. They live & remain productive for a long time.
Wow, I no idea a hen could live and hatch eggs at 11 years old.
Do you have some photos of mom and chicks?

Sorry I missed this the first time around. I am glad to see you get back into Large OE. There are so many good things about them I just don't see why more people don't raise them.
The OE (LF) world is getting smaller and smaller. The OEGCA is basically non-existent and now Cliff Douglass is very sick. I wish that Rich Baker would come back into the fold but I think the poultry politics just ruined it for him.

I had a very rough years with my creles and didn't raise hardly any and lost my best hen. I plan to raise a lot of them this season and plan to start early. I also plan on working on BB Red by Crossing some BB Red Bantams into my Creles.
Bob

Its hard to get into OE.

Sorry about your creles, I hope you can get them back on track!
Sorry I missed this the first time around. I am glad to see you get back into Large OE. There are so many good things about them I just don't see why more people don't raise them.
The OE (LF) world is getting smaller and smaller. The OEGCA is basically non-existent and now Cliff Douglass is very sick. I wish that Rich Baker would come back into the fold but I think the poultry politics just ruined it for him.

I had a very rough years with my creles and didn't raise hardly any and lost my best hen. I plan to raise a lot of them this season and plan to start early. I also plan on working on BB Red by Crossing some BB Red Bantams into my Creles.
Bob

that's a dang good lookin roundhead tipe bird
and standard american game fowl.

Picture014.jpg

[/quotenice roster is that a roundhead

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom