1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Standing in the rain

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marilyngurl22, Dec 17, 2015.

1. marilyngurl22

marilyngurl22 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2015
    I have one chicken that stands in the pouring rain by itself. I've noticed this the past few times it has rained. She looks miserable but won't take shelter. She's not at the bottom of the pecking order so I can't figure it why she does it. Thoughts?

2. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
  3. marilyngurl22

marilyngurl22 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2015
    Ok. Good to know she isn't messed up in the head [​IMG]. Not sure how she can like it but she must, I guess!

4. attimus

attimus Chillin' With My Peeps

Ha-ha. I'll come out to wht i think is the whole flock huddled undercover when theres a down pour or even a drizzle, come out 15 mins later and 2/3 of em are out and look as bad as a wet cat but seem entirely oblivious to it lol. :)

Attimus

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Rain is fine, but the hose is an evil thing that will attack them. Mine will stay out in rain as long as it's not windy too. If the wind comes, then they take shelter.

6. MadamPoofyBrow

MadamPoofyBrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2015
    I've got one rooster who does this. Everyone else runs for cover, and there he stands. I guess he enjoys it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by