Standing young hen wont sit or eat.

MarkS

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2020
My chicken is young, she was born late fall, and still does not have all of her adult feathers, face feathers, a few white downey feathers near the wattles and beak.

I have some game fowl styled chickens. Saturday, 2 days ago, I noticed Eleanor off to herself not doing anything, just standing.
I see her shifting her crop area, moving it left and right, head elongating to help some sort of discomfort. She seemed sick to I grabbed her up and brought her inside.
She continues shifting her swollen crop, I had given them peanuts and I thought that maybe she had eaten a shell, I could hear something popping in her crop when I moved and squeezed it. THinkin this could be something caught in her throat I made some granite grit, and she pecked through it, finding the best pieces.

In the morning her crop had shrunken down. I have not seen her eating or drinking. She can walk but it is stiff and she has no motivation. Seems to prefer just standing in one place. She keeps her tail down, and seems to be tried but will not sit. She closes her eyes in sleep but can't sleep. Last night I saw her sitting, and her tail was flared out in full display, looking like how a chicken looks when they are on their eggs and fluffing out to get you to go away. At this time, I noticed the heavy breathing, like some people describe for egg bound. I kind of think she is too young for laying, but I am afraid that she is egg bound. She still shifts the crop, but not as often and not with the same frequency, 1 or 2 shifts instead of a constant adjustment.
I took her to work with me today meaning to take her to a vet, but none of the vets treat chickens so I am left to my own for now.

I gave her a warm epsom bath last night for 20 minutes, she seemed content and maybe even enjoyed it. I could hear noises, like a stomach grumbling, like she was hungry? I don't hear any throaty noises like congestion or smell anything sour like sour crop is supposed to be. So I think I will try to probe her this evening and check to see if I can feel an egg.

A few months back, I had become worried she might have had merricks, because she couldn't stand very well and was weak. I feed her a bung of bugs and egg shells and she got better in a day and was perfectly normal. I put this in here in case this is a continuation of the earlier problems. I raised this one by hand and so she didn't have the benefit of a mother showing her what to eat or anything like that after she was about 5 days old.

Any help in diagnosis or efforts to remedy her ailment will be greatly appreciated.

Mark
https://youtu.be/1OnWAy7ZfhI
this is a video of how she moves her head trying to adjust her crop. She still will not sit, stays standing.

Last edited:
It sounds like an impacted crop (i just went through this over the weekend). Does her crop get smaller and then large again? Indicating proper feeding and processing of food. The gurgling could be food fermenting in her crop. Google treatments for "sour crop" and impacted crop.

Remove food for a day and feel her crop. If it is still full, she is not processing food.

Not a vet but it sounds very similar to my hen last week.

Can you offer her a tsp of coconut oil that has been placed in the freezer for a few minutes, and chopped into small pieces to offer her? It does look like she has something stuck in her crop. Does her ceop feel hard or doughy? You said that her crop had shrunken down, but was it completely empty? Check it first thing in the morning before she has eaten or drunk anything. What do you feed her including treats? I would keep water available at all times, and if her crop is empty by morning, offer some mushy wet feed with a lot of water.

Back
Top Bottom