Stargazing - dizzy chicken

lamelde

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 3, 2009
Sparta, WI
I've read several posts on this condition - I've been treating her with the recomended vitamin drops daily for over a month and there is no improvement - she can't go with the rest of the flock because they peck her terribly.

Is she doomed for life or there there another option for treatment?

The particular vitamin deficiency who causes stargazing has, in my experience, shown a complete reversal of the problem within maybe an hour. I caught it the morning it started, and it was in a young bird. I could see how an older bird might take a longer time, but no way for a month-plus. If she's been having the oil for over a month and there is zero improvement, there's no reason to keep attempting that method.

What exact type of oil have you been giving her?

Effects of Vitamin B1 / Thiamin deficiency
Nervousness, anorexia, ruffled feathers, leg weakness and an Unsteady gait can occur. Paralysis (convulsions with head retraction) called polyneuritis and star-gazing (head retracted due to paralysis of the anterior muscles of the neck) can occur in young birds. Adults may have a blue comb, a decrease in respiration rate and lowered body temperature.

Treatment & Control of Vitamin B1 / Thiamin deficiency
Prevention
Quality control of the feed. A correct level drug will help prevent the disease.

Treatment
Alter the B1 level or drug level in the feed. Since most grains are high in B1, it does not need to be added to the diet. Amprol, a common anticoccidial mediation, can bind thiamine.

Maybe buying some Corid - adding Vit B1 drops to what mashy food she can get down. It appears Vit B1 is the missing link

Back
Top Bottom