Starlight Green Egger

Lemon-Drop

Let Your Light Shine ~ Matthew 5:16 🤍✝️
Mar 5, 2021
Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, so I have been trying to find information on this breed, but not much luck. We were at the feed store, my sister was there, and she impulsively bought a Starlight green Egger. The chick is now about 2 weeks old. Does anybody know much about this breed? I’ve heard it’s a mixed breed or something like that? I just want to know what they really are. I assume they lay green eggs, because of the name. Also our chicks name is Sam (short for Samantha) but we named it that because of the book Green eggs and ham. Anyway, any information would be helpful. I’m a little worried ‘she’ might be a ‘he’ because how quickly ‘her’ comb is growing, but it might just be the breed. Here are some pictures of ‘her’
332A3AF3-9A4E-418F-BD00-C5D0FCF8D584.jpeg
C0ECF9B3-6940-45F8-AB10-2F853D889E2C.jpeg

I have 3 Starlights I got last August, and although they are a bit smaller than say, a barred rock or wyandotte, the eggs are larger than expected, I'd say large sized, and beautiful green colors, from mint to olive.

They have attractive cinnamon/copper colored feathering, yellow legs, a fairly large single comb, and a iridescent, green tinted ear flap.

star.JPG

I rarely handled them as young'ins, and they turned out to be friendly birds, eager to jump into my lap, or onto the bench I feed them treats from.

There are 5 starlight eggs in this pic ..... The lens doesn't do the colors justice .....

Hope this helps !

IMG_7765 (2).JPG

They are a Hoovers hatchery mix that includes leghorn in the mix. As to what else is in there....well that is a mystery.

I have 2. They do lay large green eggs and lay more often than EE's do. Mine are both colored more like a welsummer than anything else. They are outgoing birds in my flock.

The comb size is affected by the leghorn in them so develops pretty early on.

Cute chick!
Yes, 2 breeds are mixed to make the green egg layer. Do you only have this one chick? Chickens are flock animals and do best in at least a set of 2.
No, we just have one of each type. We also have a Sapphire Gem, Brahma, Speckled Sussex, Welsummer, Plymouth Rock, and a Barnevelder in the brooder. Thanks for checking! And thanks for your help!

They are a Hoovers hatchery mix that includes leghorn in the mix. As to what else is in there....well that is a mystery.

I have 2. They do lay large green eggs and lay more often than EE's do. Mine are both colored more like a welsummer than anything else. They are outgoing birds in my flock.

The comb size is affected by the leghorn in them so develops pretty early on.
Well, its a hatchery cross, you're only going to find what the hatchery wants to release about the cross.
I have 3 Starlights I got last August, and although they are a bit smaller than say, a barred rock or wyandotte, the eggs are larger than expected, I'd say large sized, and beautiful green colors, from mint to olive.

They have attractive cinnamon/copper colored feathering, yellow legs, a fairly large single comb, and a iridescent, green tinted ear flap.

View attachment 2575934

I rarely handled them as young'ins, and they turned out to be friendly birds, eager to jump into my lap, or onto the bench I feed them treats from.

There are 5 starlight eggs in this pic ..... The lens doesn't do the colors justice .....

Hope this helps !

View attachment 2575921
Thanks so much!

Just thought I’d update for those looking for information on Starlight Green Eggers. So far Sam is curious, a little skittish, but mostly very curious, pecking at anything. For a while I was positive Sam was a boy, but nope! Just a huge comb! Sam is 17 weeks old now, and I think she’s going to lay soon!

I saw her eating from the oyster shell container yesterday, she squats when I go to pick her up, and her comb is red and huge! She also keeps poking her head into the nest box.

A few pictures of her now:

Attachments

• 20B5EA4C-DDC6-4237-B95A-E3C669975749.jpeg
    20B5EA4C-DDC6-4237-B95A-E3C669975749.jpeg
    507.4 KB · Views: 88
  • BBF236AF-2511-4CC7-804E-2650D56DA51B.jpeg
    BBF236AF-2511-4CC7-804E-2650D56DA51B.jpeg
    960.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 64D78E0D-F77B-4ED2-A71C-FBEAC446B073.jpeg
    64D78E0D-F77B-4ED2-A71C-FBEAC446B073.jpeg
    476.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 03C54BD9-5178-48BE-B361-85FBE3F925C9.jpeg
    03C54BD9-5178-48BE-B361-85FBE3F925C9.jpeg
    792 KB · Views: 60
  • ABE9819F-9D06-4C9B-B606-708E88168C49.jpeg
    ABE9819F-9D06-4C9B-B606-708E88168C49.jpeg
    870 KB · Views: 67

View attachment 2575934

Hope this helps !

View attachment 2575921
The stamps💀

Just thought I’d update for those looking for information on Starlight Green Eggers. So far Sam is curious, a little skittish, but mostly very curious, pecking at anything. For a while I was positive Sam was a boy, but nope! Just a huge comb! Sam is 17 weeks old now, and I think she’s going to lay soon!

I saw her eating from the oyster shell container yesterday, she squats when I go to pick her up, and her comb is red and huge! She also keeps poking her head into the nest box.

A few pictures of her now:
What a gorgeous chicken! My starlight green egger looks like an ISA brown. I'm kinda jealous.

Back
Top Bottom