Starlight Green Egger egg color.

Xemmie

Chirping
Jul 29, 2023

I ordered 10 SGEs in March directly from Hoovers Hatchery. Only 8 made it to now. They are about 20 weeks old and five have been laying since July 7th.
I was under the assumption it was only a 5% chance to lay brown eggs. Well only 1 of the five is laying green lol. I even have a almost cream colored egg.
1 egg is not pictured it’s a peachy brown.
Even if the remaining 3 chickens that have not laid yet have green eggs that’s 50%.
Has this happened to anyone else with this breed?
I do enjoy the rainbow colors but would like a few more green eggs to go with my ham 😉

Attachments

• IMG_5990.jpeg
    IMG_5990.jpeg
    814.3 KB · Views: 310
Just curious if you contacted Hoovers with your concern, and what their response was? One, (even two), brown/cream eggs is one thing, but I agree that 4 out of 8 is too high. I hope the rest are green layers! Do they all look alike? Do your 3 brown layers look different from your green layer?

Just curious if you contacted Hoovers with your concern, and what their response was? One, (even two), brown/cream eggs is one thing, but I agree that 4 out of 8 is too high. I hope the rest are green layers! Do they all look alike? Do your 3 brown layers look different from your green layer?
No they don’t all look alike. I have 4 that have a lot of red/deep orange feathers and 4 with a lot of white. 3 are the darker (red) birds they are laying dark brown egg that looks mauve, green, and peachy tan.
2 are from the birds with white feathers. There eggs are tan and a dark cream. I’ll try to get pictures of the birds with egg colors.

I did not contact the hatchery. I’m waiting to see what the remaining 3 lay.

Pictures of chickens + egg color

Attachments

• IMG_6002.jpeg
    IMG_6002.jpeg
    547 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_5998.jpeg
    IMG_5998.jpeg
    513.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5994.jpeg
    IMG_5994.jpeg
    611.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5993.jpeg
    IMG_5993.jpeg
    890.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5992.jpeg
    IMG_5992.jpeg
    813.2 KB · Views: 84
There seems to be a lot of rather brazen deception going on with all the hatchery mixes and their fancy namegiving.

This is copied from the description found on Hoover's homepage:

"If you are looking for a bird that consistently lays a green egg and will lay a lot of them, all while having a beautiful color pattern, then the Starlight Green Egger™ will be a great addition to your flock!"

:rolleyes:

I ordered 10 SGEs in March directly from Hoovers Hatchery. Only 8 made it to now. They are about 20 weeks old and five have been laying since July 7th.
I was under the assumption it was only a 5% chance to lay brown eggs. Well only 1 of the five is laying green lol. I even have a almost cream colored egg.
1 egg is not pictured it’s a peachy brown.
Even if the remaining 3 chickens that have not laid yet have green eggs that’s 50%.
Has this happened to anyone else with this breed?
I do enjoy the rainbow colors but would like a few more green eggs to go with my ham 😉
I have two SGE's from Tractor Supply who uses Hoovers and BOTH of them are laying the pinkish brown eggs like you have pictured. The 5% estimate they claim does not seem to be accurate at all. Here are my eggs from my midnight majesty and the SGE's (the very bright dark brown one's are the MM and all the rest are from the two "green" egg layers) I was wondering if they were going to change color later or something since they've only been laying for 3 weeks but it seems they will be laying brown/pink for good. Still delicious though.

Attachments

• 364535470_6492735884176733_6414379240546039470_n.jpg
    364535470_6492735884176733_6414379240546039470_n.jpg
    619.6 KB · Views: 114
I have two SGE's from Tractor Supply who uses Hoovers and BOTH of them are laying the pinkish brown eggs like you have pictured. The 5% estimate they claim does not seem to be accurate at all. Here are my eggs from my midnight majesty and the SGE's (the very bright dark brown one's are the MM and all the rest are from the two "green" egg layers) I was wondering if they were going to change color later or something since they've only been laying for 3 weeks but it seems they will be laying brown/pink for good. Still delicious though.
All 8 of my hens are laying now. I have less than 50% green eggs. 5 are laying various shades of brown and three are laying green. I did try contacting the hatchery. They have not responded.
I really don’t mind all the colors just think they shouldn’t say it’s 95% chance for green when it’s clearly not.

Back
Top Bottom