Start of lay question

HomesteadNowhere

Songster
Dec 2, 2020
Ohio USA
Eight days ago I got my first egg from my chickens. None since. They are now 22wks old. There are 30 pullets. White (Wyandotte?), buff orpington, Partridge rock, new Hampshire, buff brahma, and freedom ranger for breeding experiment.

There are 2 cockerels that will be staying and unfortunately because of the heat and usual life crazy, there are about 13 other cockerels to be butchered too. The pullets all look good though, no damage done. I'm hoping to get the boys separated though, til butcher can be done.
*Could excess cockerels cause delay in laying or stress to keep them from laying?

I totally forgot about oyster shell and will be putting out the free feeder of it tomorrow. I had the big bag this whole time and just completely forgot about it!
*The one egg I got seemed normal shell on it. Could the added calcium maybe help boost them to lay?

They have been getting 16% layer pellet, kalambach brand.

I don’t anything but their hormones can make them start to lay—plus they are still at a young age and may not start laying until 6 months, which is very common. Every chicken is different—even within the same breed.

I think major stress of any kind can affect their egglaying—heat, overmating, illness, etc.

But imo they probably just haven’t got the hormones telling them to do so, yet. Btw, do they squat?

Also, check for secret nests—and if you’re really curious—take a look under their tails. The vent of a chicken who is not egg laying will look small and dry compared to one who is.

How long have you been feeding them layer feed?

Do separate your cockerels soon, but my guess is that it’s about to start raining eggs over at your place.

Eight days ago I got my first egg from my chickens. None since. They are now 22wks old. There are 30 pullets. White (Wyandotte?), buff orpington, Partridge rock, new Hampshire, buff brahma, and freedom ranger for breeding experiment.

There are 2 cockerels that will be staying and unfortunately because of the heat and usual life crazy, there are about 13 other cockerels to be butchered too. The pullets all look good though, no damage done. I'm hoping to get the boys separated though, til butcher can be done.
*Could excess cockerels cause delay in laying or stress to keep them from laying?

I totally forgot about oyster shell and will be putting out the free feeder of it tomorrow. I had the big bag this whole time and just completely forgot about it!
*The one egg I got seemed normal shell on it. Could the added calcium maybe help boost them to lay?

They have been getting 16% layer pellet, kalambach brand.
I wouldn't feed layer feed as you have males in the flock.
I've never fed layer feed.
I only feed a complete feed offering 18-20% protein with two containers of oyster shell on the side. There are many different times during a layers life when she doesn't need the extra calcium provided in layer feed. And the 16% protein level is just the bare minimum. As soon as you start adding in "treats" it becomes insufficient.
The presence of males in the flock is just one more great reason not to feed a layer mix.

Back
Top Bottom