Starting a flock in Arizona...

Which breeds do you suggest for hot summers? Best places to purchase them?

• Ausralorp

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Wyandotte’s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Your choice

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
Hi. I am new to raising chickens myself as we just got an acre of land in nw Arizona. I am so excited to start my own new flock! I remember my Grandparents had chickens and we loved them. Our coop/ run is almost finished but I am waiting until early March to get chicks or eggs to hatch. I am doing lots of research on the different breeds which is how I found this thread. I want to raise a healthy group that will do well in our hot summers. Thanks for accepting me as I have learned so much already.

Welcome to BYC! Don’t forget to check out the Learning Center:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/
Here is a great article for choosing the right breed including heat tolerant birds:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/choosing-the-right-breed-for-you.74446/

Good Luck! I like Golden Buffs because they lay a large brown egg every day with very few days off. The color of brown is beautiful.

930D7815-B26F-4A56-99F0-C902E7A5AD04.jpeg

I agree with the Naked Necks. I'm just outside of Phoenix and my Naked Neck hens lay throughout the summer. I also have White Minorca and they're not bothered by the heat either. My Orpingtons need to be sent up north for the summer, they just can't handle the heat.
Welcome to AZ and BYC!

CB00124C-A3E3-416B-8878-46035B83CF9C.jpeg
I agree with the Naked Necks. I'm just outside of Phoenix and my Naked Neck hens lay throughout the summer. I also have White Minorca and they're not bothered by the heat either. My Orpingtons need to be sent up north for the summer, they just can't handle the heat.
Welcome to AZ and BYC!
We live in northern Arizona so stay quite a bit cooler. Just read the article about starting chicks outside in protected area. Does that seem reasonable to do if it stays above freezing in March? This is their future home in the making. I thought about setting up their brooding area in the closed part of the coop for protection and to maintain heat from the heat lamps. Thanks for input!

Last edited:
Well thank you! Nn is naked neck. There are degrees of nakedness though. Some look like they have bibs on and you see their naked necks. Some are bare down to the breast and some have what looks like bow ties on their necks and they're naked above that and down to the breast.
View attachment 1664353 View attachment 1664354

They also have fewer feathers in general on their bodies but not that you would notice until you pluck them. My roo up there has a little bow tie if the girls would leave it alone. The black hen has one that covers the lower neck like a bib
I love the white/red one. Too cute. Will have to add them to the short list.

View attachment 1671215
We live in northern Arizona so stay quite a bit cooler. Just read the article about starting chicks outside in protected area. Does that seem reasonable to do if it stays above freezing in March? This is their future home in the making. I thought about setting up their brooding area in the closed part of the coop for protection and to maintain heat from the heat lamps. Thanks for input!
That should work. Put a thermometer in the brooder to check temperature. First week for chicks should be 95f and decrease 5 degrees each week. I keep my brooder in the barn and they stay warm even when it's 20f outside.

That should work. Put a thermometer in the brooder to check temperature. First week for chicks should be 95f and decrease 5 degrees each week. I keep my brooder in the barn and they stay warm even when it's 20f outside.
Perfect. That is the plan. Planning on getting them about the first week in March when it rarely freezes here. Bet you got some snow recently.

Back
Top Bottom