Starting new coop tommorrow!(pics added!)

harri

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Rhode Island
Hi, i have been researching chicks and coops for a few weeks. I got a dozen pullets on wednesday and i will be starting my coop tommorrow.
building will not be a problem as i am a carpenter.
I plan on building a 10x10 coop with a 7x10 run.
I will partition off a section of the coop for the hens. Will a 4x10 coop (40sf) be enough for 12 hens or should i go to 50 sf?
I will insulate the walls and maybe the floor? what do you think, shouls i do the ceiling also, what about the floor? I will be doing the deep shaving method.
there will be 4 windows, 2 on the south/east side and 2 on northwest side. no electricity yet but maybe in the future.
Will a 7x10 run be big enough? it will be enclosed with 2x3 welded wire with 3' 1/2 hardware cloth around the bottom buried 1'. the shed roof will continue over the run.
nesting boxes will be in the partition wall so we can acces the eggs from inside. prop door will probably have a rope to operate from inside also.
What am i forgetting?
sorry for long post.
thanks iin advance!.

Last edited:
General rule of thumb is 4 sq ft per LF in the coop & 10 sq ft per LF in the run. You may be able to skimp a little on the sq ft in the coop if you have a larger than needed run.
The main thing is that they don't get crowded either in the coop or the run.

thanks guys.
I will make it a 5x10 coop.
I am going to insulate the floor and walls.
Ill try to make the run larger also, just tryin to keep the costs low.

Just go 8x8 0r 8x10......
big_smile.png

So i got the floor complete and gathered the 2x4 and 2x6 for the framing. Not sure if I will insulate the floor now. I was planning on using inch and a half rigid foam encased in 2x4 sleepers with plywood sheathing, any thoughts? the base is 10x10. We are ordering the windows and door kit tom. so it will be here by the weekend.
The girls will get 6x10 and the rest will be storage. I have taken your advise and the run will be 10x12 .
Can't wait to see the final result
Jim

Wow am i slow. I just looked at my first posting date. Oh well. It is framed out, the roof is on. I have the windows readto go on and the door needs to be built. hoping to get to it this weekend.
I started digging around the perimiter of it for the hardware cloth, once that is on i will side the coop.
the girls will get a 6x10 area with 3 windows in their area. I made a 8/12 pitch roof so i have attic storage as well. By the time the coop is secured, the girls will be ready to move out to it. I will finish the run after that. The run will be 10x12 with a 5/12 pitch roof.
I'll try to get pics up later

Back
Top Bottom