Starting our run build

crystalsc

Songster
Jul 20, 2023
Greenville, SC
We’re starting our run build today. Wish me luck! I hate leveling but our lot is sloped and we want to use concrete blocks on the foundation to help the wood last longer. Plus we have free blocks that came with our house and we have free roofing that came from a playhouse that came with my moms house. The goal is an 8x16 a-frame with 10 foot covered.
IMG_2686.jpeg

Looking good.
I would have taken the easier route by setting posts and not worry about the slope. PT 4x4's on the bottom is what I would use.

Maybe sure you use PT lumber for anything touching the block, or use a vapor barrier between the block and wood.

So glad to be 90% finished with our coop and run. We have an 8x8 shed coop. Our run is 8x16. Still left to do: finish out the soffits and trim on the run, cover the predator apron on side and back, apron against coop inside the run, new step for coop, and add more windows to coop. Is it perfect? No but overall I’m very happy with how it has turned out.
IMG_3098.jpeg

IMG_3099.jpeg

IMG_3097.jpeg

IMG_3102.jpeg

IMG_3110.jpeg

IMG_3103.jpeg

IMG_3105.jpeg

We have reworked the coop a bit. My ladies had no interest in the nesting boxes on the wall and instead began laying their eggs on the floor. So we decided to remove them from the wall and let them be on the floor. It’s worked out very well and they use the nest boxes now and I don’t have to worry about stepping on an egg. We also decided to make the smallish coop more spacious by removing the litter tray table and instead building it into the 8’ back wall. This made the tray more narrow but longer and we gained a lot of floor space without the 4x4 legs. We didn’t have a 2x4 on hand that was 8’ so my husband cut a limb to fit. They are doing okay with it. 2 of my girls have always wanted to roost on the edge of the litter tray for some reason. Overall, we’re pleased with this layout and think it works much better for us and the chicks. I left one section of the litter tray front edge unattached so I can add hinges to it for deep cleaning. Still have to finish that. I also still need to finish out the area above the roost bars. I have some strips of plywood just hanging up there to keep the girls from roosting there and pooping behind the walls. And pay no attention to the steps into the coop-still have to finish those too.

IMG_4328.jpeg

IMG_4330.jpeg

IMG_4331.jpeg

IMG_4333.jpeg

IMG_4327.jpeg

IMG_4354.jpeg

The shed is 8x8. The section the chicks has is 5x8. I only have 4 hens. If I ever get to more than 7 or 8 I’ll probably need to open it up to utilize the full shed. But I got this for only $500 on marketplace. I couldn’t find any better deal than that. I do wish now that I had an 8x12.

We have a 8x8 shed for 9 ladies and 1 rooster. We got inspired by watching Homestead Rescue and your post. We have a small area reserved for storing the feed and other supplies for them and possibly open it op for them. Our chickens running around in a fenced in area of about 0.5 acre and they only use it for sleeping and laying eggs.

We have a 8x8 shed for 9 ladies and 1 rooster. We got inspired by watching Homestead Rescue and your post. We have a small area reserved for storing the feed and other supplies for them and possibly open it op for them. Our chickens running around in a fenced in area of about 0.5 acre and they only use it for sleeping and laying eggs.
That sounds like an awesome setup! Our run is 8x16. And we do the same-they only go into the coop for sleeping or laying eggs though when it rains we don’t mind if they go into their coop to hang out. Even with a roof, the run gets a little wet on rainy days. It’s so easy to scoop the poop out of the hemp bedding.
Our lot is 2 acres and it would be so expensive to fence an area so we just let them run loose in the yard when we’re home. I’ve never seen Homestead Rescue! I’m going to need to check that out.

Back
Top Bottom