Starting out in Northern Virginia

1jirving

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
Hi everyone. My family and I have just started last month with chickens. We have benefitted from the passage of a recent zoning law in Prince William County, permitting us to raise chickens on our property. I picked up 11 originally and am down to five already. A fox and some Hawks have been ravaging. Working on securing the run. Any and all advice is welcome. We are hoping to reap alot of eggs from this endeavor as my family of 6 can blow through about 3 dozen a week. Some on this forum have already been kind with advice.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us! I'm sorry about your predator problem. Were they attacked while free ranging, or were they attacked in the coop or run?

Some were attacked free ranging after they squeezed through the wire fencing covered with honeysuckle,which I thought would contain them. The others were attacked in the run by the hawks as the run didn't have netting above.

We're in PWC in the overlay district as well. Chicks are 1 week old today. Run is secured over, under and around with hardware cloth, as the local fox checked it out yesterday even without the chickens in it.
smile.png
Definitely a predator rich area!

The hawks were scary. The attack happened while we were away and had someone watching them. The next morning when we woke up, there was one the rails of my minivan, two on the fence, and another on my deck rail.

Back
Top Bottom