Starting Over--a new flock after our cross country move

luv2greys

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
Well it looks like we will be rehoming our pullets and roo before our upcoming move from southern Illinois to the Tampa Florida area. I am really sad about it as I have come to love my flock of 25 girls and their guy. I really wanted to take them but after researching what needed to be done regulation wise it looks like just too involved and I really don't want to put them through a 16 hour drive and living in an entirely new climate. So I may be splitting them up among a couple of different homes but they will be well taken care of.

I love having chickens--this is my first year. I will be starting a new flock after we get settled. There is already a run area, we just need to get a coop set up. I think I will downsize and have about 12 layers. I am just wondering whether to get chicks and raise them as I did with this flock, or buy already grown and established birds. I have been searching on Craigslist in the Tampa area and as of right now there are lots of birds available. Whether there will be in January when we will be ready I don't know.

Just wondering what everyone's advice would be? The chicks were a lot of fun to watch grow but a several month wait to get eggs. I really don't know what to do at this point. Just wish I didn't have to leave my little flock behind.
sad.png

Raise from chicks and keep a closed flock once you bring them in. If you do go with older birds and from more than once source you'll need to quarantine them away from each other for a month. With chicks you'll have to wait for eggs but IMO it'd be worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks tadpole98 and puglady! Chicks are what I really would like to go with. If I do go with older birds I would only get from one source and not mix flocks. My problem now is ordering chicks through the mail I would have to go with larger numbers than I want ordering them this time of year. I am sure the farm stores will have chicks, but probably not until spring (I don't know, maybe Florida has them at different times of year because of the warmer temps). And I really want some more turkens! I have 2 of them, a buff and black and they are my favorites! I am thinking of even taking the 2 of them with me as I don't know how easily I could get more of them unless I order them by mail, and then I am into the large numbers again. So much to think about!

Thanks all for giving me things to think about!

Have you thought about collecting eggs from your existing flock, right before you leave Illinois and then incubate them once you arrive in Florida? Might be a rush to get your coop up and running, but you would end up with the offspring of your existing flock. :)

Back
Top Bottom