In the Brooder
5 Years
May 18, 2014
Hi every one
I am going to start Quail breeding.
wee.gif

Does any one have any tips?

Welcome to the hobby/addiction!

There are many different ways of raising quail. I suggest looking around the forum and deciding which way would be best for you. After you decide on housing, we can give you some hints.

What type of quail? There are different species, and each have their own requirements. For breeding Bobwhite, they should only be kept in pairs, whereas the m:f ratio for Coturnix is recommended to be 1:4 (+/-).
What are you breeding them for (eggs, meat or both)?
James

Hi i'm going to breed them for eggs.
I'm going to breed a few different types of quail.

You will need to do more research and decide specifically which types of quail you will be raising, each species has little in common so the methods of keeping them are different for every species.

Coturnix are nothing like bobwhites, and neither of them have anything in common with button quail. California quail and gambels quail require special attention to their feed, etc. Many types of quail have to be housed in pairs for 3-6 months out of the year during their breeding season, while other types can live in a covey with 1 male and half a dozen females for their whole lives.

My recommendation would be to start with coturnix and get a few months experience with the birds before moving on the other more difficult species.

You should read through the quail notables section as well it's loaded with good info.

So you are saying Bob Whites ratio is 1 to 1?
Yes, otherwise, it's a "Battle Royale" that makes WWE look like kids play.
James
Edited to add: If you really want the eggs, you will want to go with Coturnix. After they mature, which is roughly 10 -12 weeks or so, hens will lay one egg a day during the season which lasts about 10 months. They are less forgiving but easier to raise compared to Bob Whites or other new world quail.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom