Starting to get paranoid about using things like diatomaceous earth on my chickens :(

So, after revisiting some articles warning about the dangers of Diatomaceous Earth, and now I've successfully managed to freak myself out over chemicals that could make me sick.

Any reccomendations for things to prevent mites that won't kill
me in the future? This kind of stuff manages to freak me out a lot, so using better products would be more reassuring :)
I have been using Diatomaceous in chicken coop for years with no damaging side effects to my chickens. I lightly dust everything not heavy. No mites here! My son in law uses it successfully around perimeter of the house each year for ant control…he swears by it.

So, after revisiting some articles warning about the dangers of Diatomaceous Earth, and now I've successfully managed to freak myself out over chemicals that could make me sick.

me in the future? This kind of stuff manages to freak me out a lot, so using better products would be more reassuring :)
DE is not a chemical, it's a micro fossil.
The dead and fossilized body parts of diatoms that used to float around prehistoric seas.
I've been using it for over a decade and no problems. Try not to inhale it or get it in your eyes, just as you wouldn't use a Mr.Clean eraser as a bath sponge.

Has anyone actually used DE and gotten sick from it? Or their birds? (Sorry for hijacking the thread :oops: )
I use it and we have not had an issue. But I am also careful about it, and don't use it willy-nilly. I put a tiny bit in the nesting pads, since that's where the girls are laying. Also important to note, food grade DE is what you need to have. We have had no mites. Folks use food grade DE for nutritional health support (not me, personally, but my husband, whom worked at a Sprout's grocery store, said they sold it in the vitamins dept regularly).

I would imagine if you are using it responsibly (as with any product of this sort) and being mindful of how you apply it, you should be ok. <3 If you don't feel comfortable using it, then don't.

I don’t know why DE would be ineffective. I had fleas on my house and a good dusting eliminatEd them ALL! I put DE down whenever I clean the coop and it works well. I would use any toxins, especially ones that kill bees! They have enough problems, right now.

DE food grade is not going to make you sick. I’ve know multiple people who have used it for various purposes for years. It is even recommended for personal use. I’m not sure what your concern is, unless you aren’t using food grade.

Since Iv been using this product I'm now wearing a mask as I have now a crackle in my throat and read the instructions how dangerous it is I was shocked and when the sun hits the coop I can see the dust rising into the air which I was breathing into my lungs hence the new crackle in my throat yes it does kill the mites ! But I'm now very wary on how dangerous it is just a shame I didn't read instructions earlier ! I'm 65 and want to live to be a 100 let's just hope I do !

Back
Top Bottom