Starting with hatchery stock?

Canuck88

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
BC
I’m sure this has already been discussed so please forgive me. Also I hope I’m posting this is in the right section.

Has anyone had to start out their chicken breeding plans with hatchery stock, and been somewhat successful? I realize it’s not ideal and obviously getting quality birds from reputable breeders is the way to go (this is what I prefer to do). However I’m very interested in raising New Hampshire Red chickens, and I have only been able to find them through a hatchery (I am in Canada).

They are obviously not extremely popular here (since no one seems to have them), and I’m ok with that. I want them for myself lol.

We will be moving next year, so I have time to keep my eyes peeled for any breeders who may have them but so far I have not been able to find any :(

Thanks for any help or advice!

I would think you could breed from hatchery stock. It’d probably take years to arrive at the quality you find from a fellow breeder.

In my opionion you’re money ahead to buy quality stock to start with.

Yes the problem is the breed doesn’t seem to be available here, so there isn’t any quality stock to purchase from.

I’m ok with it taking time, like I said it would just be mostly a project for myself. Thanks for your input!

Yes the problem is the breed doesn’t seem to be available here, so there isn’t any quality stock to purchase from.

I’m ok with it taking time, like I said it would just be mostly a project for myself. Thanks for your input!
How about RIR? If you are able to get Quality RIR and cross them with NH you will increase the Quality, also Delawares are basically Silver based NH with sex linked barring..

Rhode Island Red cross (Rhode Island Red x New Hampshire)​

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...oss-rhode-island-red-x-new-hampshire.1053390/

Rhode Island Red rooster and Delaware hen cross​

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rhode-island-red-rooster-and-delaware-hen-cross.900573/

Cackle Hatchery produces their own Red Sex link strain by crossing RIR rooster with Delaware hens, the F1s look just like NH and are genetically very much NH

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/red-sex-links/

Last edited:
How about RIR? If you are able to get Quality RIR and cross them with NH you will increase the Quality, also Delawares are basically Silver based NH with sex linked barring..

Rhode Island Red cross (Rhode Island Red x New Hampshire)​

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...oss-rhode-island-red-x-new-hampshire.1053390/
Yes I can definitely get some quality RIR birds! I can think of two great breeders of the top of my head. Thank you so much for the advice!

Delawares not so much, I guess some of the “American” breeds just aren’t as poplar up here.

Sometimes deconstructing a breed and going from its roots really is the best way forward. I've seen it a lot here in nz - nothing gets imported, so the breeds that are already here are what we have to work with and I've seen some fun breeding projects from some very resourceful owners here.

Look, I'm making (deliberately), "mutts". But the fact remains, every breed on the planet began with either "mutts", or birds similar enough in genetics that we would today characterize them as "hatchery quality", and the desired traits were bred, undesired culled, and successes reinforced until such time as they were recognized as a "breed".

Can you do it? Absolutely. Its the only way to do it. Should you expect immediate success??? [metaphysical piece of real estate] no!

Look, I'm making (deliberately), "mutts". But the fact remains, every breed on the planet began with either "mutts", or birds similar enough in genetics that we would today characterize them as "hatchery quality", and the desired traits were bred, undesired culled, and successes reinforced until such time as they were recognized as a "breed".

Can you do it? Absolutely. Its the only way to do it. Should you expect immediate success??? [metaphysical piece of real estate] no!
Mutts tend to be healthy as long as you bring fresh birds to the gene pool every now and then.

I've gotten ahold if some golden campines, which are very rare here and I'm already worrying about genetic diversity after having a chat with their breeder and hearing how difficult it was for them trying to source for their own flock.

I'm sure I'll have to mix in something eventually.

Back
Top Bottom