Starving chicken: a true mystery

Pics
I'm chiming in one more time.
I'm all for a 7 day course of treatment but I believe getting her to eat a few small chunks of miconizole in the suppository (ovule) form would be easier than the cream.

The math works out like this:
Miconizole 7 (cream) is miconizole nitrate 2% = 100 mg/full daily dose

Miconizole 3 (in cream or suppository) is miconizole nitrate 4% = 200 mg/full daily dose

I'd purchase the 3 day version (4% miconizole nitrate) so you have less of a struggle getting it into an already stressed bird.
I can definitely say that it was a feet to get our girl to take more than 1 dose willingly. I finally resorted to exiting our 21 other girls out of the coop and getting our Lorp sitting with me calmly on my lap and having the cream ready to go and pretty much just opening her mouth and putting as much of her dose in as I could get, then massaging under her beak to get her to swallow it.

I'm chiming in one more time.
I'm all for a 7 day course of treatment but I believe getting her to eat a few small chunks of miconizole in the suppository (ovule) form would be easier than the cream.

The math works out like this:
Miconizole 7 (cream) is miconizole nitrate 2% = 100 mg/full daily dose

Miconizole 3 (in cream or suppository) is miconizole nitrate 4% = 200 mg/full daily dose

I'd purchase the 3 day version (4% miconizole nitrate) so you have less of a struggle getting it into an already stressed bird.

Thanks very much. I think we are gonna try the cream, either 3 or 7. She seems to swallow much easier with something soft than trying to coax her to eat a piece of pill.

I’ve been following this thread with interest (and feeling anxious)
I do hope you find the problem and can save her!
I’m dreading anything happening to my girls.

Miconazole isn't one of those meds like penicillin where you need to get a precise dose. It's more like throwing some bleach over mildew on a surface. It just matters to get it in contact with the Candida albicans to kill it off just as the bleach solution kills mildew. (Do NOT use bleach to treat sour crop!)

Way back when I first discovered the first sour crop in my flock, I had poor reading comprehension and I treated just once a day with the miconazole. It didn't work. I went back and discovered that I hadn't read the instructions right, and after I started treating twice a day, the hen finally responded.

Therefore, I have concluded that it's more important to keep a steady bombardment of the yeast with the miconazole than to worry about precise amounts.

Hey everyone - I can't thank you enough for all of your help here. lisasea is my better half and we've been doing everything we can to save this poor hen. I'm about to go pick up the Miconazole.

So - keep her on probiotics in water + nutri drench + Miconazole or should we be moving to stop some of this other stuff while we try the Miconazole?

Thanks a bunch
I personally would stop the bread or tortilla soaked with oil.

And the anti biotics if those are still being administered.

Miconazole isn't one of those meds like penicillin where you need to get a precise dose. It's more like throwing some bleach over mildew on a surface. It just matters to get it in contact with the Candida albicans to kill it off just as the bleach solution kills mildew. (Do NOT use bleach to treat sour crop!)

Way back when I first discovered the first sour crop in my flock, I had poor reading comprehension and I treated just once a day with the miconazole. It didn't work. I went back and discovered that I hadn't read the instructions right, and after I started treating twice a day, the hen finally responded.

Therefore, I have concluded that it's more important to keep a steady bombardment of the yeast with the miconazole than to worry about precise amounts.

I personally would stop the bread or tortilla soaked with oil.

And the anti biotics if those are still being administered.

Thanks, the antibiotics are stopped and havent fed her anything special today.

Just administered the first dose of Miconazole orally. Put some on my finger, opened her beak and put on the bottom. She seemed to swallow it. Will administer another in a few hours before bed and then 2x daily for 6 more days.

Hoping this is the answer :\

Back
Top Bottom