Stella's Social Club

BLTs where for dinner, but not our lettuce (its done) or tomatoes (not ripe)
barnie.gif

No neighbor problems here, last neighborhood feud I know of ended with an apology letter, home made loaf of bread and a pie delivered to my wife's cousin. They were really surprised, since they didn't know they were feuding. I've been trying to start a feud, but no luck. It's good to live tucked among the Amish.

I finally realized what KathyinMO SSC meant on her avatar, it was right in front of me.

No old chickens here, nothing even a year, the older layers, which weren't laying much, and their roo are chicken stock somewhere now.

I love the new fence wish i had it at my entrance - (is this more of the colvert(pipe)deal) cant spell
hmm.png
-- Here is my oldest pair (flea market birds)

his name is UGLY - I got them a little over 2 yrs ago-
O LOVE THE TURKEY VIDEO now i want turkeys
lol.png
duc.gif

Last edited:
Stella would say good morning but she has hopped the fence and is grazing in greener pastures. She'll be comin' by the screen room for treats before heading back home. I'll tell her then.

I had an Isbar pullet, my oldest one, start looking sickly. In the last few days she took a turn for the worse. Fearing what she might have, I took her to UCDavis for euthanasia and necropsy. Here is the report.
ep.gif

The bird is lethargic, reluctant to move and barely responds to stimuli.

Diagnosis:

1. Puncture of gizzard by foreign body (metal screw), transmural, chronic, with secondary gizzard impaction.

L a b o r a t o r y F i n d i n g s / D i a g n o s i s

7/19/2012- A markedly enlarged gizzard with a metal screw deeply embedded into its wall was the main
finding in this chicken. A few screws were also found in the gizzard’s lumen together with other contents. Chickens occasionally swallow shiny or metal objects. These might remain for a long period of time in the gizzard, resulting in impaction, or if sharp or pointy, they might damage the koilin cuticle and cause a penetrating lesion in the deeper wall. In this case, the gizzard’s function seems to have been impaired by the perforating metal screw, resulting in a distended organ unable to grind or thrust feed downstream. On cut section the gizzard, has a markedly thickened
muscle and contains large amounts of seeds, grits, wood shavings a 6 metal screws. One of the screws is deeply buried
into the gizzard wall, reaching the serosal surface, where it protrudes approximately 3mm into the coelomic cavity, still
covered by mesothelium and fibrous tissue. The crop and proventriculus are empty. The intestines and ceca contain a
small amount of dark green content. No other significant lesions are detected grossly.

Last edited:
I have five cream legbars in the hatcher due tomorrow! After that I have three more then it's about one a day from then on. I threw everything in the bator after losing Reggie and will incubate until they are no longer fertile.

Of the 13 Isbars I found under the rock developing from the heat I had to toss 6 for blood rings. They had been laying on their sides with no turning and the embryos were attached to the sides. Some of the air cells righted themselves in the incubator and the others quit.

Oh my gosh - eating screws! That is sad.

Uhh, I wonder what Kelly will say on those 3 white Icelandics. Curious.

Good luck with your hatching!

Can this be true? Hard to believe, but it is. My last hatch - THE last hatch - I hatched 5 chocolate eggs. That is - Chocolate Orp rooster over black Orp hens. All 5 are females! (Females are chocolate, males are black)...........

Back
Top Bottom