Stella's Social Club

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Sheriff, Jul 18, 2012.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I found Lukka sitting on all her babies this morning. As I cleaned the coop they all came out to watch the show.

[​IMG]

As soon as I got done cleaning I moved Lukka and her babies to a big nest box on the floor. She immediately started teaching them how to eat and drink. Look at the one asleep leaning against her! Another crashed in the floor in the sunshine. They were exploring the inside of the coop when I left but I am guessing she has them outside by now. I better go make sure they have a little ramp to get back up into the pop door.

[​IMG]

p.s. That is wet grass on the front of the waterer, not poop!

2. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Too late on moving the silkie eggs, three have pipped. Maybe there will be what you are looking for there and they can join Lukka. I'm going to try cramming them under the broody tonight. Not sure though, she's a first time mother.

And the final count on the quail eggs I packed, 10.5 dozen, exactly (couldn't count the two eggs I broke while packing).

Note to self - NEVER mail quail eggs without quail flats again!

3. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    I pack quail eggs in sets of 5-6 packed in bubble wrap. Its pretty quick but not as fast as flats. But it does ship well.

4. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    It actually turned out better than I expected. I used a piece of bubble wrap and rolled four to a roll, then taped the roll off. I had some odds and ends pieces of bubble wrap, I used them on about 20 individual eggs. I had a piece of quail flat that held one dozen, with bubble wrap taped around it.

Anyway, I took all the rolls and individual eggs and packed them solid in one of those giant loose spinach plastic tubs from Costco. I used that as my interior box and then double boxed into the carton. I used air pillows around it and some newspaper. It was pretty solid and didn't take too long for the 10.5 dozen.

I was prepared for a nightmare. I wished I had some of the 3/4 inch insulation foam, but didn't want to drive to the hardware store just for that.
    [​IMG]

5. Miss Molly

Miss Molly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2012
    Newcastle California
    AWWWWW, She love her babies. What a great Mom :)

6. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Yep, I dare you to come and try to take them back!

[​IMG]

Her man is keeping very close watch on everything that goes on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I pulled a Mary and forgot to lock down my eggs that are due to hatch on Monday.

My Orp broke herself, she was on the roost last night.

And darn it................I have yet another broody - a welsummer. All these broodies are driving me crazy!

8. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    [​IMG] Kelly, at least I can play the "I'm old" card.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  9. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA

10. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    My "old" girls have been looking their age lately. No longer laying, they just hangout looking for shade and grass to eat. There isn't a blade of grass in their current run. I decided to move them from the Icelandic/Layer coop to coop #1 which is currently housing 12 grow-outs. I will be moving the grow-outs into their adult coops and leaving the old girls to themselves. I might throw a pair or trio of another breed in there from time to time if I want to work on my project. I may need to let a broody raise babies in there too. Goodness knows the nest boxes aren't going to be used by Judge Judy, Martha Stewart, Skye, Chatty Cathy, or Stella. None of them has laid an egg in ages. I didn't try to grab Skye or Stella today but the others were no match for me. We'll get the other two tonight.

Martha is the worst looking of them all. She is very inactive and sleeps most of the day. She can't get up to the roost anymore and just sleeps in a nest box. Here she is, sleeping standing up.

[​IMG]

Cathy and Judy settled right in for a nice chat in the shade. Run #1 has shade all day. They are going to love that!

[​IMG]

Well until this happened.

[​IMG]

Hopefully this grass will last a while with just the five of them in there.

[​IMG]

I think I'll rename Coop #1 the Old Biddy Inn. Besides Isi and Lukka I haven't promised any chickens a forever home. Speaking of Isi I'll bet the old gals love not having to "date" anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by