Stella's Social Club

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Sheriff, Jul 18, 2012.

1. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    I am using Firefox and having no problem uploading pictures.

I know what you mean about the shipping! I sent chicks to Alaska and Minnesota and some growers to California on Monday and I am on pins and needles hoping they make it OK even though I've shipped chicks before. Never so far though!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Oh no! I hope they turn up!

3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Tracking still shows they are at the sort facility in Seattle where they have been for two days! [​IMG]

4. Miss Molly

Miss Molly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2012
    Newcastle California

What a bummer Mary. What kind of eggs are they ?

5. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Okay, my fair results this year. (I'm not trying to be "uppity", LOL, but some of you asked). I just love doing the Fair competitions. I've made great friends with many of the other exhibitors, we all sit together during judging, laugh, whisper, swap recipes, root each other on and hug goodbye until next year.

I'm good friends with the woman that runs the food program at the County jail. They train inmates to cook so they'll have a skill when they are released. They have their submissions brought in for them (obviously, LOL) and are quite excited to get ribbons in return. She said their rallying cry is "Beat Debbie" and they have a banner on the wall that says that, LOL She said when they are feeling lazy and don't want to bake, she tells them "Debbie is doing it and more things than you!" One year, the jail contingent all walked in wearing shirts that said "Beat Debbie". She had a shirt made for me that read "I'm Debbie". I have that shirt hanging in my closet and it's one of my dearest possessions.

Yeast breads
    First places - Graham, Raisin, White, Sweet
    Second places - Buttermilk, French, Wheat, Rye
    Quick breads
    First place - Zucchini
    Biscuit/Rolls
    First places - BP biscuits, Cinnamon Rolls, Bran muffins, Yeast rolls, Muffins
    Third place - Other (I made homemade Poptarts for the heck of it)
    Cake
    First places - Bundt, Angelfood, cupcakes
    Second place - Pound cake
    Third place - Gingerbread, banana cake
    Cookies
    First places - Brownies (was considered for BIS), Drop, Oatmeal, Sugar
    Second places - Peanut butter, Rolled, Snickerdoodle
    Third place - Bar cookies
    Pies
    First places - Cherry, Apricot, Lemon meringue (this won BIS for the last four years straight, but I changed my crust recipe this year for the heck of it and got dinged), banana cream
    Second place - Chocolate cream
    Third place - Blackberry
    Confections
    First place - Caramel (was considered for BIS)
    Second places - Hard candy & fudge
    Fiery foods
    First place bread (which went on to take Best in Show)
    Third place cookies

Out of my 49 entries, I only had nine that fell out of the ribbons. I also won the Overall Sweepstakes. I did well, I've done better in the past. This is my first serious baking in my new ovens, it takes awhile to get used to them.

Oh and in Preserved Foods, I only had ten entries since I was without a kitchen during the height of canning season. But I got 4 firsts, 3 seconds, 1 third and 2 no place. I won BIS dried foods.

I won't know on my Photography until I pick it back up on Monday, but I'm not expecting anything. It was just a snapshot and the competition is STIFF, like 100+ in each class.

There you go, my fair for the year, now I can take a break and next week start canning/testing recipes for next year [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Deb maybe you ought to hide that shirt or else put it on someone else. Those guys may be sore losers.[​IMG]

7. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    When she told me their mantra, I said I'm not so sure I like all the inmates knowing my name. She said they don't know my last name, LOL.

It's a great program she runs and at zero taxpayer dollars (they have a zero budget). It's the Lake Tahoe jail and several people have "graduated" to jobs in the tourist food industry. They've been written up in the paper a few times. The inmates want to do it, it's their normal food prep for in house and she volunteers her own time to the program.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

~<I><*perk*></I> Homemade Pop Tarts?

9. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
  10. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Yup, I'll link the recipe for you. They were surprisingly easy. I did cinnamon, you can use jam too.

(I have to go get dressed and fix breakfast - it's a lazy day today)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by