Stella's Social Club

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Sheriff, Jul 18, 2012.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I just turned on the misting system. As much as possible, I am NOT going outside for the next week! I am already miserable. Oh, the misting system is for the flock, of course. One strand IS on my deck, but right now, it's still too hot for me to sit on the deck, even in the shade of the covering. But there are a lot of poultry people hanging out there. :lol:

The juvenile peacock that showed up on this road a couple of days ago - but I never saw it until he was in my yard yesterday evening - has decided my yard is the best place to hang out. I think it's nice to see him strutting around. That little perky crown of head feathers is CUTE. He was on the top of the pergola this morning. Somebody may have clipped his wing(s) some time ago, but he can fly just fine.

No blood-curdling screams, yet. Just a few "Braaak!" calls, which sound like a short bark. None of my flock seems perturbed about his presence. He did peck a ranking hen who thought she'd express some pecking order issue with him, and that changed her mind.

Sarge the MW turkey seems threatened, because he has been holding his spread tail feathers to face the peacock. "See what a tough guy I am, peacock!"

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  2. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    About 20 years ago, I had a peahen volunteer show up and live with my birds. Then a peacock, then another peacock, after they hatched peachicks, I ended up with 12 of them. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    We have an abandoned building in our small little town. The Peafowl took it over. You routinely see them hanging out on the street during the day.

A "neighbor" a mile down the road has Peafowl. I can hear them calling at night near dusk. Their voices carry! [​IMG]

4. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    I actually quite liked them and loved seeing them display. I didn't mind their voices either (I don't even mind my 50+ roosters and the neighbor's guineas). The thing I didn't like is the loud clunk when they'd land on the metal roof on my house. AND they liked to hang out on my front porch. Peacock poo is like tar, you can barely even scrape it off your shoe and think about how big that bird really is, LOL

When I moved, I didn't capture them and take them with me. The wife of the couple that bought my house must have asked me a hundred times if I was taking the peafowl with me. I just kept repeating, "they aren't my birds". Finally the husband looked at her and said "she said they aren't her birds!"

I don't know what they did with them. I'm sure they didn't keep them.

5. thedragonlady

thedragonlady Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    That nasty cheesy stuff in the sinus sometimes makes a cup that covers the eye. Keep working it out. Also check the roof of her mouth to see if there isn't some there. Been there, done that ! It's worse on the birds with vaulted skulls.

6. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I got sick and tired of my long hair six weeks ago and had six inches cut of. yesterday I went the rest of the way to short short! Here's a couple of selfie pics I took in front of the mirror. It was hard to do and not just see the camera. Anyway, I am bald and loving it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Very cute, and here I've been trying to work my way up to trimming mine to only six inches below my shoulder.

I've always said though if I cut my hair, it would have to be short short. My hair is stick straight and spider web fine. It would have to be so short of a style that it required no curl/wave of any kind.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That is CUTE, Mary! However, you don't know bald until somebody buzzes all of your hair off your head! One of my dispatchers did that to/for me when it started to fall out during chemo treatments. It was the summer of 2003 and being truly bald was wonderfully freeing. Plus, I didn't have to deal with the emotional response to clumps of hair in my brush, fingers, or clogging the shower drain. I kept it fairly short when it started to grow back in 2004.

People tell me I look good in short, even very short hair. I have been letting it grow out further since shortly before I retired just a bit over a year ago. This time of year I think I want to cut it off, but it finally got long enough to wear in a ponytail.

I want to be one of those grey-haired ladies with a cool sun hat and long hair in a French braid down my back. That is what is in my mind's eye when I think of myself puttering around on the property.

But first I would have to learn how to braid my hair. :lau

I can do an okay braid of someone else's hair, but not my own.

9. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    I always have an easier time French braiding my own than someone else's. It doesn't look right. When you do your own it's only by feel.

Well, back outside for me. Today when I was feeding, I had 8 juvies escape from a growout pen. I'm down to only three still out. It is NOT easy chasing stinking chicks around and around and around the building, especially when they run out through the poison oak sprigs and they can FLY over the barriers I've tried to erect to stop them.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr [​IMG] Anyone I haven't caught by dusk, I hope it gets eaten [​IMG] And the three still out are a blue marans, a blue ameraucana and an exchequer leghorn. And I STILL hope they get eaten. And they are all pullets. If that gives you any idea how long I've been chasing them and how hot it is out there.....................and did I mention the humidity?

10. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    Deb I spent 3 hrs yesterday running after happy quail who laughed at my outside grow out pen. I got sunburnt like I wild thing I feel your pain...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by