Stella's Social Club

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Sheriff, Jul 18, 2012.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    That snake pic is creeping me out!

heat wave continues but tomorrow it is supposed to be even hotter. I am miserable today! Yikes. Just took watermelons out to the chickens, goats and emus and turned on the sprinklers in the runs.

Lukka is cooling off in a hole next to a thorn bush.

[​IMG]

Trying to keep her baby cool. Can you see it? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Cool down today. 119 yesterday, only hit 115 today.

It's getting more humid, perhaps the monsoon is not far behind.

t-minus 3 days to keys/possession and the move begins.

Went to Sears Outlet (just around the corner from Laree) last Friday night and purchased a new fridge. Kenmore Elite 29.8 cu.ft. Nice

3. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Below is apparently the smartest chicken I own. We set up the misting systems over most of the chickens today, we'll finish up in the morning. Once I set up the system over the runs of the Poultry Palace, one RIR pullet jumped up onto a roost and stood directly under one of the mist heads. She was literally dripping wet. She stood with her eyes closed most of the time, but would occasionally lean over to drink a drip that had formed on the roost.

Smart girl!
    [​IMG]

4. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    OK let me see:

Kathy, if I were Mike and that was my first post retirement duty, I would return to work!

Mahonri, Nice cooldown! On the news today they show people in Phoenix baking chocolate chip cookies on the dash of their car!

Deb, You put misters in 37 runs? [​IMG]

5. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
  6. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    You should have seen us at Walmart......................8 hoses, 9 Y's, an automatic water timer & a 4-way manifold. It looks like a web of hoses, we bought extra long so we could run them all behind the coops (less spots for me to trip over). The birds all look happier.

7. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    We just turned on the sprinklers and prayed it would be enough. Tomorrow is supposed to be six degrees hotter than today! [​IMG] I will probably stay on oxygen all day after I get back from having lab work done. I struggled today. Our heat pump still doesn't work right! The warranty company is supposed to be sending someone out, again.

8. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    I normally would go into the office tomorrow, but I'm staying home. We need to finish the misters and I want to keep an eye on everyone with so much heat. I don't want to see my PGE bill next month! I'd melt without my A/C. I'd be going for that hiring someone to follow me around with a hose of cold water and a fan.

9. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Yikes, Dar, 119 and 115?! I hope all of you experiencing the heat wave stay safe [​IMG]

Our high today was 78 [​IMG]

Love Lukka!
    Here are my current mommas w/ chicks....
    Egla taking her 4 Forsaela/Falki chicks outside for the first time...

[​IMG]

Beautiful Heidi with her Forsaela/Falki chicks.....(can you see them both-one is peeking just behind the other?)
    She kept them in the coop.........

[​IMG]

....and GNH #77 with her one F/F chick.....

[​IMG]

....and the older F/F group (with the Asta/Audun cockerel on the left) up in the rafters after enjoying the nice day today...

[​IMG]

10. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Very pretty Mary! #77 is a beauty!

Tucker's swimming skills are really improving. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by