Stella's Social Club

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Sheriff, Jul 18, 2012.

1. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    What a great job Mike and you are doing with Tucker! He is so lucky to have a pool to cool off in!

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Death Valley hit 130 today.

3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Just read about the tragic loss of 19 firefighters in Arizona about 90 miles from Phoenix. Unbelievable. RIP heroes.

I hope this wretched heat wave subsides before any more lives are lost.

4. Miss Molly

Miss Molly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2012
    Newcastle California

So sad ! I just saw it on the nightly news :(

5. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    very sad to hear about the firefighters. My chickens did well yesterday though hot.
    not misters. I need to set them up. though they have shade and we are cooler. still need to set some misters up

6. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    You all have been really chatty. The heat out west sounds horrible. Nothing but rain here.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Great pictures everyone!

Other Mary, beautiful girls and babies!

Mary, great job with Tucker. I think you need to hang out in the pool today with a nice cold drink.

I'm not a happy camper with the weather man. The forecast called for cooling back down into the 90's on Wed. Now Wed is forecast to be 101 and we don't get to 99 until Thursday.

Geez I hope it cools down before we do the 50 mile backpacking trip.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Hope you are doing okay in this heat Mary. My thermometer says 104 right now. I've gotta go out and check on the flock, the mommas and the babies in a minute.

I'm thinking (I know I'm crazy) of firing up the oven. (good thing for A/C) I need to use up some of this ridiculous amount of fruit I have. So, I'm thinking of making up my own recipe for a plum, apricot, blackberry crisp with an oatmeal crumb topping. And maybe some blueberry muffins for the kids with the blueberries from my bushes.

At the very least, I'm going to cook down some plums and freeze the pulp. I do not have time to make jam this week.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Uhh, I took a frozen "Cheryl's" cookie and ate it right out of the freezer. I may do it again, later, too.

Sister 1 is guarding her duckling, which has apparently imprinted on TWO broody hens: Sister 1 the blue Orp and Little Bit the bantam dark Brahma. They were brooding next to each other and Little Bit still has eggs upon she wishes to set. She doesn't mind the duckling occasionally hiding under her, though. Sister 1 is tahing care of showing it the waterer. I had to move a low feeder close to them, though, as the feeder in that part of the coop is a hanging one.

Kevin the Free peacock is in the coop, perched on the top "wall" of the interior Kindergarten Quarters. He made some barking noises earlier, which clued me in to his presence inside the coop.

Alice Silver Sbright has hatched one of four bantam EE eggs in her brooder bin in my office. Alice has brooded several times in the past 3+ years, but never hatched anything. (Her eggs are not fertile... She's too fast for those big roosters.). I was gonna check the calendar today to count from the day I gave her the eggs, but no need to do that now.

Sparkle the House Silkie has been taking HER four chicks out into the garden for sunning and dust-bathing. She is currently in the office with them because I think it's too hot for her outside, now.

Interior house temperature is hovering around 85 in the office and 81 in the living room. It is 104 on my covered and screened porch.

10. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    It sounds like you have broody fever busting out all over! Congratulations to all the new mommies. Watch out that Sister 1 doesn't get worried when her baby jumps into a waterer! "My baby is drowning, someone come and help!".

It is 102 here on my front porch in the shade. The birds continue to enjoy their new misters.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by