Stella's Social Club

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Sheriff, Jul 18, 2012.

1. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    Got preliminary results from the disease lab tonight:

Gross Comments (July 1, 2013): The precise cause of death is not readily
    apparent based solely on gross necropsy examination. The lack of feed material
    in the crop and upper intestinal tract suggests that failure to eat likely contributed
    to death in this case. There is evidence of retained yolk sacs; however, there is
    no overt evidence of inflammation associated with the retained yolk sacs. It is
    unclear if the lung discoloration is real or an artifact of decomposition. Liver
    swabs have been submitted to bacteriology (chicks 6/29 and 7/1) to help rule-out
    an acute bacterial septicemia. Representative tissues will be examined
    microscopically following adequate formalin fixation.
    Histopathology and bacteriology are pending.

The necropsy examination commenced at 1:17 PM on July 1, 2013.
    Examined are 3 chicks that are presented in individual plastic bags identified as
    6/28, 6/29, and 7/1. Each chick has a pink band of the lower left leg. The chick
    in the bag identified as 6/28 is a gray male. The chick in the bag identified as
    6/29 is a white female. The chick in the bag identified as 7/1 is a black male.
    The crops of all 3 chicks are empty. The 3 chicks have small and firm, yet
    retained, yolk sacs that vary from yellow to green-black. The coelomic cavities of
    all 3 chicks lack overt evidence of inflammation. The lungs of the chick in the
    bag identified as 6/29 are mottled red; the lungs of the chick in the bag identified
    as 6/28 are diffusely reddened.
    No gross lesions are identified in the oral cavity, external surface of the brains,
    heart, liver, kidneys, joints, or skeletal muscle of any bird.

So no answers so far, but they aren't giving up yet! How sad that the splash was a girl. [​IMG]

2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Keep us posted Rinda. Truly a mystery that needs to be solved.

3. lonnyandrinda

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    Someone on the Isbar thread mentioned that the problem may lie in breeding vaccinated stock to unvaccinated stock... Mary are any of your Isbars vaccinated for anything?

4. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    Mareks? Study results from Research reported last year said that they do not shed mareks and that vaccinated and not vaccinated chickens can be safely mixed.

So no Mareks vaccination would not cause this.

I really want to hear the final results. That should have your answer.

5. lonnyandrinda

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    Well I don't know why the vaccination of the grandparents would matter because I hatched these eggs and did not vaccinate them as chicks or once they grew up. This person was just throwing out an idea.... many minds can sometimes find an answer! And I'm thinking forward- if they don't discover anything from the necropsies- what do I do next?

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's strange that all their crops are empty. Are your conditions moist in your run? Aspergillosis is a mold that could cause some if the symptoms you are seeing.

7. lonnyandrinda

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    They have never lived long enough to go outside. They are kept in the garage in a plastic tote, with a lamp, waterer, feeder, and shavings. I stopped brooding them in my regular brooder with all the other breeds just in case whatever they have is infectious. They eat and drink fine until about 3 days before they die. I've tried both medicated and unmedicated feed. I've added vitamins to food, or vitamins to water, fed them scrambled eggs daily for some batches. The ONLY thing that helped was when I gave each chick a few drops drop of colloidal silver (a natural anti-infective) every day. I had 4 chicks that made it to about 6 weeks doing that and they went to their new home and as far as I know are doing fine. I think there were 8 chicks hatched in that set, so still only about 50% survival rate.

8. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    The Necropsy would have found the spores inside them. Ditto for mareks--no lesions from the initial infection.
    Just a guess, but an intestinal bacteria or Botulisim.

If you do not see a cause in the next report, call them up and talk to them. I am fairly sure you will find a cause though.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  9. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    ugh we had no power for hours. house was hot everything in the fridge is warm.

I did manage to fix the cooler though I think

10. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Rinda, I believe my initial Isbars were vaccinated by Greenfire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by