Stella's Social Club

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Sheriff, Jul 18, 2012.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    A/C downstairs still not working today. Arggh. I have been running around most of the day anyway. Had labs to be drawn in Sacramento, pickup some photo lights in Roseville, shopping, etc.

Came home to find my BCM dead, probably from heat. She was just in front of the nest box where she laid her very first egg. I am so sad. I wish there was more I could do for them but this heat is relentless. I cannot even imagine what you AZ guys go through. RIP little BCM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have only one dark egg layer left. I need to get some that tolerate the heat better. I picked Martha Stewart up today,and she is light as a feather. Probably will lose her soon too. She a Cinnamon Queen and they are not bred for longevity. She is Michael's girl. He will be quite upset when we lose her. I bought watermelons yesterday and put a cold wedges in each run. They ate every bit. michael has been filling waterers every day, more than once. We took the boards off the fronts of the coops so they are just hardware cloth. I open the doors on the nest box access to allow for air flow into the coops and close them at night. I amy go get some shade cloth tomorrow to drape over the three runs that get very little shade until late afternoon.

2. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    sorry Mary,
    If you want some crele penedesenca ( not so dark) and empordanesa ( much darker) I can save you some. They have been doing well so far and are very heat hardy though even these temps are having them pant some

3. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Thanks Kelly. I am sorry I missed your call. I have errands to run for my daughter in the morning then I'll give you a call. Granddaughter Mandy is taking test for a learner's permit on Thursday and they can't find her birth certificate. I am the lucky one who gets to stand in line at the county recorder and get a copy then go Express Mail it. Lucky, lucky me. I was supposed to go to the doctor in Sacramento but they rescheduled it since I just got the labs drawn today.

4. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Thanks Jason. Let me think about it and I'll get back to you. I hate to hatch eggs this late in the summer but I hate raising them in the winter too.

5. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Mary, look into a Penedesenca from Jason. They lay a dark egg and are a Spanish breed, so quite heat tolerant.

6. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Ah, we were typing at the same time, [​IMG]

7. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I bought a set of these Lowell Ego lights from some people on Craigslist and picked them up today. They only used them once to photograph some small items for eBay selling.

[​IMG]

I have been wanting them since the first time I saw them but couldn't justify the cost. Then these showed up on Craigslist for $125 versus the $346 currently selling for online! I am so excited the have them. I'll be able to photograph food right on my kitchen island like I did with this burger tonight.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    So sorry you lost your BCM Mary. So sad. Nice score on the lights.

Deb - glad you are okay and the fire wasn't closer to your house.

9. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Rinda - I too thought botulism. I'm assuming you've changed the feed though?

I hope you get conclusive results soon.

10. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I didn't bake anything. It was just too stinking hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by