Stella's Social Club

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Sheriff, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I hope you get it fixed soon Linda!

2. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    Something interesting I learned about merriks vaccination from uc davis last week. Vaccinating day olds is dicy. Most are exposed as soon as they are pipped. She said if they are not vaccinated in the egg it is not working on most birds.

So I'm guessing vaccination is not the factor in the is bars.

3. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    ERM isbars. Silly autocorrect.

4. capayvalleychick

capayvalleychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Guinda CA
    Our well pump was fried after a power outage one time. So was our computer. We are at the end of a line and a surge did it. We tried to get PG&E to pay for the repairs but they wouldn't. So now we run around and shut everything off when the power goes off.
    I hope yours is just the fuse.

5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Thanks for the clarification! I was working to get to that point. Many of us think that our chickens do not have mareks because we do not see the symptoms.

Guaranteed, they all have had mareks. Very few show symptoms from the initial infection--since it happens as a day old chick! At two years old, 3% will die of Mareks Cancer. Also, even if they are inoculated in the egg, they should get a booster at 2 weeks old.

6. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

7. thedragonlady

thedragonlady Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    I sympathize with you. We had a lightening strike 2 weeks ago that blew my irrigation control through my pantry door into the kitchen, totally fried. Blew the pressure gauge off the well , fried the alarm system, telephones, and computer modem, as well as my printer. It blew the GFI on my whole house generator fortunately, so it was not damaged.We were lucky not to have a fire. It took 4 days and $1K to fix it all.

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

How did this rooster ever live this long?

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    O - M - G

Tomaru longcrower?

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I had to forgo coffee this morning, even emptying the Keurig reservoir into the two rabbits' drinking bottles. Just came back from a grocery run with bags o' salad for the flock and a couple of gallons of bottled water for me. And ice cream.

Why do my dogs and cat want to lay in my lap? Silly things have fur coats! Lot of good it does for me to wear shorts....

Today is rough. I may start with the adult beverages early - maybe I won't feel the heat so much if I am pickled.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by