Stella's Social Club

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Sheriff, Jul 18, 2012.

1. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Chicken Obsessed

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Rinda, maybe they told you at the lab, but keep the chicks cold (refrigerated) but don't freeze them - it disrupts the tissues.

Love the odd couple [​IMG]

Welcome home Kathy hope you get a long stress-free break

2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Ooh, love the car Kathy! Your mistake was not scheduling an Easter Egg Hunt while you were gone! [​IMG]

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Thank you! Me too! [​IMG]

We have one "pet" Wheaten Ameraucana hen. She lets us pick her up. She thinks she needs to be in the garage for some reason. Mike keeps putting her out and she stands at the door waiting for it to open and runs back in. I only have the 2 blue egg layers..... both Wheaties. The other one is the picture I posted. I was looking all over for her, and that is where I found her. Those 2 are the broodies girls I have ever had!

Icelandics are still my best layers.

We are going back up to Iowa to pick up a couple of the grandkids - next week. We decided to, "divide and conquer." We will bring down 2 at a time..... except one grandson.... he will come alone. He is a handful, to say the least. He is also one that lost his dad. I want to spend some time alone with him.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  4. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Welcome back and now Mike can get buy "enjoying" retirement. You're next! [​IMG]

Why as I picturing little girls in pastel dresses and little boys with bowties? [​IMG]

Good recovery!

My CL lay the most jumbo eggs too. I sent one to someone recently as a bonus egg and they even commented about the HUGE size of it.

5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    [​IMG] That egg was a first egg and it was tiny! I guess it just looked big in my hand. Here it is next to a regular sized egg.

[​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Well she's gotta start out small Mary! She'll supersize them soon.

Nice car Kathy! Hope you can start enjoying retirement. Fingers crossed for no more broodies for either of us!

7. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    Yes, refrigerate them ASAP and no older than 3 days old when I take them to the lab. Didn't lose any today, if I don't lose at least one more by tomorrow afternoon I may have to sacrifice one to take them to the lab- the guy said 3-4 chicks ideally to narrow down what's going on. I am SO eager for answers!
    [​IMG]
    Love the car Kathy! What a fun idea to do with the grandkids. You are such a special grandma!

8. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Welcome back Kathy! [​IMG]

The thing would have to stink if it is full of decaying/digesting eggs/chicks [​IMG]

Nice new ride you have there!

9. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, snakes stink. There is musk excreted, too.

Even little garter snakes stink. Capturing one in the house (Thanks to the cat) and carrying outside has demonstrated that to me. I could smell it on my hands afterward.

I would imagine much larger snakes would smell more, not necessarily "worse.".

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by