Stella's Social Club

The fire is reported to be 50% contained with no added acreage, but 51 structures were lost. The majority of those were out-buildings, not houses. I think 13 were residences. Evacuated areas and closed roads remain in place, but the firefighting efforts knocked down the fire's forward progress. My property is in the "voluntary" evacuation zone, so I remained here at home. The Thistle Dew Ranch tenant took care of watering the chickens there so I didn't have to leave my house.

I hope Capayvalleychick's friend's chickens are safe. You have to be a resident to go back into any evac area.

The number of trailers going down E16 past the entrance to my road has been astonishing: horses, alpacas, goats, pigs..... Most of which were evacuated by complete strangers who volunteered their equipment, services and safe haven via the El Dorado Co Watch Facebook page. I saw it "happen" on-line and witnessed the reality as lines of pick-up trucks with trailers set up at Gray's Corner to coordinate and assist evacuees with livestock.

Just writing about it makes me verklempt.

clap.gif
That's good news! Hope by morning they have it 100% contained! Sad to hear a few homes were lost but I'm glad it wasn't more.

She is under mandatory evacuation. Got all her animals out but had to leave the chickens. Do you know of anyone who could keep her chickens for her? I think there are about a dozen max. She loves them. They have names. She'll be so sad if anything happens to them.
You should not stay if you get evacuated. I know the firefighters do all they can to save what they can. Homeowners who stay behind put their own and firefighters lives at risk.
I have a area we could make work if they have a coop they could bring. I'm about 6 miles from Linda

Linda - stay safe! I hope capayvalleychick's friends house and chickens are okay! I just got back from camping for a week at Bear River Resevoir, the helicopters were filling their buckets in the lake. I hope they get the fire out soon!

Cynthia - I'm so glad your sister is okay!

I have a area we could make work if they have a coop they could bring. I'm about 6 miles from Linda

Thank you so much for offering. I found out that it wasn't that they didn't have a place for the chickens, it was that they couldn't catch them all before they were told to leave. They had evacuated all the rest of their animals the day before, had crates ready for the chickens and thought they had time. They were told to get out immediately and could not catch the chickens because they were in their run. So, they opened the run gate and hoped they would find safety. If the fire perimeter map is correct, they are only about a block from burning areas.

The Sand Fire is 50% contained and knocked down very well; as of 10 AM , evacuation warning and orders will have been lifted for the Outingdale community and all areas East of E16/Mt. Aukum Road. Areas West of E16 remain evacuated. 13 homes and 38 other structures destroyed. There are still spot fires within the fire zone. Here is a map of the fire zone. http://yubanet.com/Sand0728.pdf. One has to be pretty familiar with the area to read it.....

Back
Top Bottom