Step-by-Step Tube Feeding Guide - Pictures - Under construction

@casportpony does this look like a normal poop? i stopped tube feeding yesterday because she is eating and drinking on her own. I put her back with the flock because she was pacing back and forth in the cage like a crazy person.

She still getting amoxicillin for 5 more days.

Attachments

• IMG_5457.JPG
    IMG_5457.JPG
    853.7 KB · Views: 11
Only water (last time was yesterday morning). She has been eating layer crumble on her own, plus the white bread+amoxicillin. And whatever she finds outside in the grass.
the color is too green for me, keep an eye on it an hope it becomes less green.

the color is too green for me, keep an eye on it an hope it becomes less green.
Her poop became normal for awhile but suddenly stopped eating and drinking again. I tubed 200 mL water today (4x50mL with a pinch of Kaytee) but she still seems dehydrated. Poop is milky white water with almost no solids.

Does milky poop mean she is still dehydrated?

Thanks for the write-up casportpony

Have to do this today, been trying to learn everything I can about the procedure. I tried inserting the tube once but wasn't sure if I was in the esophagus or trachea so I stopped.

These additional pics help me realize that the esophagus was the large opening at the back of the throat, the glottis is in front of the esophagus at the base of the tongue. You can hear the words, but seeing pics always helped me.

28OtMfl.gif

XAqvpTF.jpg

I bought an assortment of rubber catheters and catheter syringes from LoCost Medical Supply.

Supplies arrived quickly with normal shipping.

Those interested in tube feeding really need to check out this link. Normally it's only viewable to vets, vet techs etc, but for some reason today it's viewable to the public. Truly the best tube feeding article and video I have seen to date!

http://lafeber.com/vet/tube-feeding-birds/#Contraindications_and_potential_complications

-Kathy
First off I would like to say THANK YOU for all of the detailed info and positive energy I've found on this site in the past 3 days. Even through losses, everyone is so supportive of each other and willing to teach/learn - y'all are awesome! I've been a vet tech for many many moons now, with most of my clinical experience focused on cats and dogs as these are the pets(small animal) the majority of Americans will spend $$$ on; though I'm also more than well versed in equines as well(my life-long soul animal), and have basic knowledge in small animal exotics(chickens fall into this category if you can find a vet that will treat them as a pet).

Anywho...my first time placing an esophageal tube on a chicken was last night(someone was restraining him)... I've previously restrained for a vet or another tech to place them, but never on my own in a home setting - so I would like to add some food for thought that I personally found useful as a newbie - 🙃

1. Use a headlamp or have someone holding a light pointed at the back of the mouth. The photos and diagrams are amazing in these threads, but it's rare to have great lighting pointed at the glottis and esophageal opening when you're learning to do this in the house, at all times of the day/night, on a sick chicken to boot! 😰 Definitely still feel for the tube in the esophagus/crop, but the additional light was super helpful for this Novice!

2. If having to use clear airline tubing (I cannot get red rubbers until late this evening), and unsure if you are in the trachea or esophagus, watch for fog inside the tube! After you insert the tubing, stop for a few seconds and watch your chicken breathing. Is the inside of the tube fogging slightly on exhale but clearing on inhale?? Then you are in the trachea - DO NOT PUT ANYTHING IN THE TUBE!! Simply pull the tube all the way out and try again until you're confident you've found your way into the esophagus. Unfortunately this only works on clear tubing, but a lot of times that is all first time tubers have immediate access to.

I naturally discovered both of these fun facts late late at night in an old poorly lit house, with a grumpy old roo 😅

Back
Top Bottom