Stewed Raccoon

Quote:
You would love whale! I had some in Iceland and it was like lamb but more delicious. Now the rotten shark meat . . . . my throat was fighting me on swallowing it. And yes, I love goat, don't know why it isn't on more menus.

I don't stew it; I skin, remove the glands, lightly parboil in water sprinkled with salt and baking soda, drain and roast covered at 350 till done, sometimes with some turnips or potatoes or carrots sizzling in the grease, and a splash of red wine. One of my favorite meals when I can get it. If you're in Raleigh NC and you don't want your nuisance coons, I do, please!

TanithT -
welcome-byc.gif
I am a fellow north carolinian!
wink.png
glad to see us up here in the woods aren't the only ones who eat 'crazy' stuff like some folks say. I say us back wood coon eating folks need to have a coon cookin' instead of a pig pickin'
wink.png

I hope my husband does not find this thread. He seriously eyeballs road kill.
ep.gif
I have all I can do to keep him from stopping. It's gross. And now you have a raccoon recipe.
he.gif
Good heavens.
th.gif
I never know what he has in the baked beans. Could be snake for all I know. That being said I only eat it when I see what he puts in it. He would eat skunk if he could figure out how to get the smell out. And he eats the odd organs too!!!!
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
He sounds like my neighbor
wink.png
- I call this resourceful and non-wasteful. Me if I have to process an animal - I will simmer most of the organs for a bit - make a broth and give it to my dogs (organs and broth) mixed with their dry food. they LOVE LOVE LOVE it. - they get a special treat and its extra boost of protein and all that healthy goodness and I dont waste it.
smile.png

Try raccoon once - if you don't like it - tell hubby you tried and it ain't happening again - he'll probably leave you alone about it.

Skunk - all you have to do is cut head off - skin it - remove all the glands and the tail itself too just to be safe. then gut it. wash it really well - season and brine/marinade 8+ hrs in whatever you want to - and then cook it about like the raccoon.
wink.png

(never tried it - but know someone who does cook and eat them)

Quote:
I make it the same way, only when it's done.....throw it out & go to McDonalds!

sickbyc.gif
McDonalds?!? I'd rather eat a rat's tail. Now there's some food you couldn't pay me to eat. Give me wild game any day, even skunk or 'possum! McDonalds? NO WAY!

I'm with you on that one Roo mom....the only things I eat from Mickey Ds is their ice cream (hot fudge sundaes) and pies!

every thing else makes me sick.
sickbyc.gif

I tried coon a couple decades ago. LOL ...."a couple decades ago"....guess that tells you I didn't like it. A co-worker was part of a hunting group who had a large BBQ Coon Dinner every year. So these guys did know how to clean/cook coon. It was dark, greasy
sickbyc.gif
meat IMO.

smile.png

I sell them in town to people who have a taste for them. But you have to leave a foot on them after skinning so they know it's not a cat. 25 bucks for a coon isn't bad.The folks who do eat them tell me they taste like steak. Aside from coons around the coop when I bowhunt I can't take them out fast enough. To each their own. I'm not eating them unless we end up in a post apocalyptic Mad Max world and everything else is contaminated,,,,,yuch

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom