Stewed Raccoon

Iowa Roo Mom

Resistance Is Futile
11 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Keokuk County
Tired of those pesky predators? Having troble deciding what to do with those dispatched pesky critters? Well fear not friends! I have the solution!!! Try this delicious recipe for stewed raccoon!

You'll need....

1 'coon, cleaned, skinned, head removed
1 tablespoon salt
1 large onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
5 large carrots, peeled and cut in slices
3 potatoes, peeled and cut up as desired
Salt and freshly milled pepper to taste

PREPARE

Cut 'Coon into pieces. Place in a large pot. Cover with water, add 1 tablespoon salt and bring to a boil. Reduce to hard simmer and simmer for 1 hour.

Remove meat from water. Place pieces in a large roasting pan (or tear the meat from the bones and cook just the meat) along with 2 cups of the water in which the beast was cooked. Cook for 40 minutes.

Add onion, carrot and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, cover and bake another 20 minutes or until vegetables are done.

Remove vegetables to a platter, and leave meat in the pan. There should be some liquid in pan with meat. If not, add some of the original cooking water to make about 3/4 cup. Bring quickly to a boil on top of the stove, adjust seasonings and thicken with a little flour dissolved in water. Remove to platter with vegetables and serve hot.

Last edited:
sickbyc.gif

Several years back our church had a dinner on the grounds..our prankster pastor brought a wonderful bbq dish.............you guessed it!!..however, after several large bites..I had to admit it tasted fine...seriously, though, the coon does need to be processed properly..there are musk glands (in the legs I believe??) that have to be removed before cooking.IMHO..its best to have chicken!!

DH has tried several times to talk me into cooking one but so far I haven't given in. I'm afraid I would have to be very hungry to eat a coon. I know it's just meat like any other meat but EUWWWWWWW.

'Coons are actually real greasy- cleaning them is like skinnin' a stick of butter. But if they're cooked right, they ain't too bad.

I found this on the subject....

Cooking Meat – Coon
Expert and Author Keith Patton

In preparing to cook a coon see that the kernels have been thoroughly cut out of the armpits, groins and from under the root of the tail after it has been skinned. Coons' kernels are similar to musk glands.
A coon beyond all other flesh absorbs any other flavor put with him; so sweet herbs are occasionally used.

Coons are pretty greasy so they need to be parboiled before cooking to serve. You can cook it on the stove top, by adding some beer and water and simmering it then draining the fat. You can then bake it, smoke it, or cook it like you would pulled pork until falling off the bone then serve with you favorite BBQ sauce on buns.

(Note From Author Keith Patton) – I took some to a dinner party of attorneys and the like and they loved it....until my wife told them what it was. Then they didn't go back for seconds...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see why people have an aversion to meat - meat is meat and why are you going to be afraid to atleast TRY something! I will try anything once - if I don't like it the first taste - I won't try it again for years (or cooked a very different way)

I've eaten/tried :

coon - just today actually! neighbor caught one and was training his coon puppies - then killed it and cooked it - brought me some - it was good!
squirrel - ok
rabbit - tame and wild - wild is very tough and gamey but raised rabbit meat is very good - bbq'd and cooked on the stove top with gravy.
duck - very good
quail - yum
(obviously chicken
wink.png
)
snake - tough - didn't like
turlte - soup - okay but not my cup of tea
alligator - didn't like it
froglegs - ugh.
goat - sauteed on grill with onions and peppers and as BBQ - pretty good.

I really don't understand someone who ate it once and liked it then learning what it was wouldn't eat it again. *rolls eyes*

Back
Top Bottom