Still air or fan? You're the pros!

clayhill

Songster
14 Years
Nov 17, 2008
Lee County, Arkansas
I am about to take the plunge and buy a small incubator. Of the two available close by, one is still-air which seems to be a good quality product, the other is styrofoam with fan. I plan to have egg turner also, but would like to know which would be more productive - fan or not?

I agree with speckledhen.............get one with a fan.

I love my Tophatch!! Auto turner, fan, tech temp. control. My hatch rate has never been better.

I have no problems with my still air but you have to be aware of the temperature layering and measure the temp from many different places in the bator if you have alot of eggs. A fan keeps the temp much more even and stable so if you have the money I would get one.

PC fans have been used but I don't think it's as good as the built in fan unless you know what your doing. If you really know what your doing though and watch the temps and humidity closely you could probably do better than the built in fans. I debated trying to stick a $1 small pc fan in there but like I said I've had no problems with my still airs so I haven't been motivated to experiment.

a friend gave me a still air LG I have had it running 1 day now....got a sponge with water....8 of my dh gamebird eggs in there....temp is 104 and humidity is 48%....is that too high temp?.....I am just playing around with this trying to learn about incubating....I bought a hovabator 2362N that is comming this week....it has a fan and turner....I hope it does good....if so maybe I will graduate to a sportsman for christmas

A little high. The lg temp knob is very very touchy though so if you only want to go down 2 degrees you have to just barely bump it. If you can feel it move it's probably changed too much. It took me 2 days to get mine to sit at 101-102 like you need for a still air.

Back
Top Bottom