Still air/Styrofoam incubator question/lockdown

Most recommendations are to check the temperature at the TOP of the eggs. I think your temp is ok for a still air. I always have my humidity between 55 to 65 for hatching. I agree that they are pretty tuff little things and conditions aren't always perfect but they hatch anyway when the time comes. ;)

It sounds like your issue is that you are taking the temperature at different elevations in a still air incubator. Warm air rises so where vertically you take the temperature is important.
I don't now where that thermometer was in relation to the eggs during incubation. If it was on top of the eggs and it stayed about 101.3 F you were about perfect as long as you can trust that thermometer.

If the eggs and that thermometer are all laying on the floor of the incubator 98.5 F should be good enough. Provided you can trust the thermometers.

I always have my humidity between 55 to 65 for hatching.
I am gonna lower mine for this batch i have in now. They are at day 3 and i will keep it at 45-50% and not increase until day 20 to only 55-65%. I always thought at 70% or higher its gotta be like the tropics and hard to breathe 😅. Plus the humity always goes up on its own when they start hatching and they are all wet. I got the 70% from the instructions on my bator, and usually get an 80% hatch rate ( only doing 12 at a time tho). We shall see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the info!

Also looking forward to seeing pics of these babies :)

Sorry it's a little large but I have 2 eggs with this now...I'm about as excited as a kid at Christmas.

151577923_266304168429862_2650933652161774138_n.jpg

hello people, I see you are comparing apples to bananas.
That is a bad practice.
You cannot copy what someone does in a still air incubator in a forced air incubator. We all do different things and have worked out what works for us personally. Forced air incubators will dry eggs more than a still air incubator so 45% in still air is fine, worked for me in the past but I would never use that in a forced air. 60% has been fine during ockdown but I wouldn't risk lower.

Back
Top Bottom