Still Can't Talk About it...but he is here!!!

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
So...nobody can tell ANYONE on Facebook or mention it on facebook...and especially NOT on my facebook page...

BUT

We made a deposit on a German Shepherd puppy!!! He'll be coming home next Friday! A little young (7 weeks) but since we are fairly familiar with the breed and have a "pack" of dogs here at the house to help it learn to behave, the pup shouldn't have a problem with manners.

I am thinking we should feed milk replacer with its food. Is that a bad call? Should we just switch over to the wet food and then graduate to the dry food?

My Shih Tzu was easy...and this go-around, my husband...neurotic! lol!

Thanks for any help and advice!

UPDATE: Apparently I misunderstood the breeder. We had been there this last Friday. He meant that the puppies were 7 weeks THIS Friday (the Friday we went to see them), not 7 weeks next Friday. Sorry for the misunderstanding everyone!

Last edited:
I know a lot of breeders let puppies go at 7 weeks, but that is very young. Any chance he can stay with mother and littermates another 2 weeks? Good luck and take lots of photos.

Already got Authority Large Breed puppy in hard form. Forgot the mash...gonna have to get some. No, the other litter mates are spoken for and are being picked up Dec. 15. Ours will be the last to leave.

sorry, but I'd avoid a breeder like the plague who let pups leave early. It's much better for them to learn from their mom and littermates than a bunch of strange dogs. I would wonder WHY they were letting them go super early. Perhaps if the dam had died, but even then they would be better off with their littermates unless you are talking newborns that need 24/7 attention. I'd be afraid that they were cutting other corners.
In most states (I believe EVERY state, but not 100% certain) it is illegal to sell puppies before 8 weeks.

Good luck with your little guy. You're going to have a lot of work ahead of you. GSDs aren't like any other breed of dog
smile.png

Boil him some chicken and mix it with his kibble.

Congratulations oh and my dog has he pups weaned by 7 weeks ,having other dogs is great when you get a pup.

I used to supplement young puppies with goat milk...easy on the digestion...and they gained well on it...at this pup's age you need to soak and soften his food 50/50 warm water and goat milk...worked for me...

Mums the word! You got my promise!

I love GSD! I had one and the breeder would let me have her at 12 weeks of age. Well worth the price and disposition!

Some breeders would get puppies gone at eight weeks or older. My mom wont let her collie pups go until they are 10 weeks of age.

Back
Top Bottom