Still NOT laying.... egg-speriment

INtheHENHOUSE

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 2, 2008
My wife made me turn the old horse shed into a coop... well, after much procrastination, I gave in and built the Hilton HenHouse.... well, maybe not that nice but for a newbie, I think it turned out pretty good for now. Still have to build a run for them next to it (chicken wire top surrounded by chain link fence).

I bought 3 Buff Orps and tucked them into their new abode and the guy that sold them said 2 were laying, one was not. (do all chicken farmers speak the truth?). Since I got them over a month ago, I have fed them, cleaned their environment, talked to them, soothed them and still no eggs. In fact, I was not sure if they even visited the boxes I made for them. It appeared the hay had been nested in or moved around but wasn't sure. In desperation, I have attempted to "prime the chicken well". I boiled 2 eggs and placed them in the boxes and could see that they actually had been nesting on the cooked eggs. I took them out this evening and will see if they produce in the next couple of days.

I do still have questions on lighting and such but will learn in time.

My wife got this obsession to have chickens and now, I AM the chicken-man as she has no time to mess with them!
hmm.png

(I don't feel the love or sympathy at this point though)
smile.png

Also, I noticed one of the girls had a pretty foul (no pun intended) odor to her and am wondering should I be concerned. When they roost, 2 will go up high and one will sit on the ground below them... BUNCHA OLD HENS!!! I want to call them the Baldwin Sisters but there are 3???

Okay, lay it on Mr. Newbie Henhouse.... lemme' have it!

Thanks and look forward to your comments and input.

Mustang, OK

Does the odor smell like poop or infection? I'd give her a thorough once-over to check her weight and make sure there are no obvious parasites. A chicken shouldn't smell foul in normal circumstances.

I'd say a bit stinchy??? There of course is the poo odor but this is a bit extreme... I noticed it yesterday when I grabbed one to show some kids. I will look into it further when I have daylight. It is amazing that I have chickens period!!! I used to work for a radio station in NW Ark. and there was a hatchery in town that the workers listened faithfully... invited me for a tour. I handled a couple of new chicks and my hands broke out in the MOST hideous rash ever... Itched so bad, I would scape them on the edge of a counter just to sooth the itch and well.. it was bad! Raw poultry had the same affect a couple of times after that.... Remember the flesh eating disease? That is what I was afraid of. For the longest time, I would not touch any poultry product. Steroids???
Fortunately with the new hobby with "the chicks", there has been no reoccurance handling them and boy, that makes me happy!

Thanks for the info and are there antibiotics you can feed to get/keep them healthy?

I haven't had birds long enough to have to medicate them but it's my firm belief that antibiotics shouldn't be given unless you know there's an infection or a risk of one. I'd give antibiotics in situations of bumblefoot, predator attack with obvious bite wounds, and pecking by other birds but not just because.

Give her a good once-over and post what you find. Surely a more knowledgeable BYC user will be able to help.

It is possible to bathe chickens but you'll have to keep her very warm until she's 100% dry.

Mods - should this post be moved to emergencies /diseases /cures section?

Back
Top Bottom