1. From Meyer's June 3 hatch - top bird
Light skin
No dicernable comb / wattles yet
Great flyer / big wings
Very friendly
Tuft on head
feathered feet
I think eventually it will be solid black

Even though it's from a hatchery - I'm wondering if this is some kind of cross? Like a Spitzhauben x Mottled Bantam Cochin? I have two of these, they look the same.

From Meyer's June 3 hatch - bottom bird
Darker skin
No dicernable comb / wattles yet
Poor flyer
Not very friendly
Tuft on head, not typical of cochin
feathered feet
Solid black

Even though it's from a hatchery - I'm wondering, due to the crest on it's head if this is some kind of cross? Like a Black Silkie or Polish x Bantam Black Cochin? Or just a Black Cochin not true to form? Anyone?

I got these birds from an Incubator special - so it's possible that they are not true to breed, I imagine.

Thanks!

I figured that the bottom was a Silkie cross given the dark skin and crest. I have a few standard Cochins, including a Black Cochin and she didn't look like this growing up...

The top bird isn't very Cochin like in behavior - these guys fly a lot and perch off the ground, even with the feathered feet. My Cochins prefer to be on the ground and rarely fly at all. They are sleeker and not the butterballs that Cochin tend to be. They also have white skin.

Feeling your pain, we bought "pullets" now it is looking like we have 6 out of 9 Roos, barred something, we got 4 Wyandotte something, and 3 Australorps they look fine for now however it looks like a full freezer for us, all from Meyer.

That last bird looks like a typical Cochin x Silkie. That pouf always comes out and they are rarely silkie feathered, but have normal feathering. I had three hens whose sire was a Cochin/Silkie, mother a BR. None had black skin and only one had any sign of feathers on the legs, but every one had that little poufy head.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom