Still waiting

lindseyr1980

Hatching
May 12, 2015
My first chicken hatched last night!! There are two more eggs that had been rockin and Rollin but have gone still this morning. No pipping yet. One might be moving very slightly. But that might also be caused by the little chick.

Any advice on waiting time would be great!

And when do I move the baby chick to a broader box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am currently waiting as well. This is my first time incubating. Had a tragedy yesterday with one of our chicks but this morning I have one hatching and it sounds so healthy chirping and doing its thing
1f601.png
. It isn't fully out of the shell yet so I keep watching. I have a feeling this will be my entertainment for today. "Incubator TV".

I do have a question though. I read the articles posted above..... My humidity is a 70% should I raise this or leave as is?

I am currently waiting as well. This is my first time incubating. Had a tragedy yesterday with one of our chicks but this morning I have one hatching and it sounds so healthy chirping and doing its thing
1f601.png
. It isn't fully out of the shell yet so I keep watching. I have a feeling this will be my entertainment for today. "Incubator TV".

I do have a question though. I read the articles posted above..... My humidity is a 70% should I raise this or leave as is?

70% is fine. And don't be alarmed, it will go up when some hatch. They will be damp, which will register as higher humidity, but its fine. As they dry it will settle back down.

Oh yes, we love Incubator TV!
smile.png

I also am watching incubator tv today. I had 2 pip yesterday around 5pm, I thought I would wake up to progress but I didn't they are still exactly as they were at 5. I am worried because they haven't progressed, is that normal? I do have a few more that have pipped and I have one who is actively working to zip. Today is day 21 they are right on time!

I also am watching incubator tv today.  I had 2 pip yesterday around 5pm, I thought I would wake up to progress but I didn't they are still exactly as they were at 5. I am worried because they haven't progressed, is that normal?  I do have a few more that have pipped and I have one who is actively working to zip.  Today is day 21 they are right on time! 

12-18 hours is not uncommon for first pippers. Some pip and zip quickly, but others take their own sweet time. You'd think they like torturing us. Lol

Thank you! That puts my mind at ease, I am a nervous wreck!!! This is my first hatch and I can already tell it won't be my last.

Then you have come to the right place! It easily becomes an addiction! I'm feeding my addiction through others at the moment, while still contemplating my next hatch...

I have been keeping an eye on this same chick for about 3 hours now. The egg is mostly, if not all the way unzipped but the membrane seems to be holding together extremely well. *note-egg shell falling away from the membrane*. The chick seems to be energetic and vocal. However, I have read that if it takes to long for them to emerge it can cause issues with their feet..... Should I intervene at any point and if so when?

That's a tough one. If there are no others actively zipping, and you see the chick straining to try to push through the membrane unsuccessfully and it truly is nearly fully unzipped, you can reach in and gently do a partial tear on the membrane along the zip. If you don't see any blood vessels showing on the inner membrane, peel back and wrap the thick membrane out of the way, and let the chick do the rest.

Back
Top Bottom